Question about a neighbours roof extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I was wondering if I could get some information on something that's been on my mind.
I live in a bungalow, the properties behind our bungalows are two-story homes.
One neighbour has had a roof extension put in, overlooking our properties and gardens.
I wouldn't have a problem with this, but the main window on the dorma part is large and completely transparent.
Not only does this neighbour walk around the room during the day and night completely naked, but a neighbour of mine says he sits or stands up there with binoculars looking into our gardens.
Shouldn't we have received some kind of notification of such an extension?

Attachments

• 20230506_185820871_iOS.jpg
    20230506_185820871_iOS.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 135
Sponsored Links
Not necessarily, lots of loft extensions are permitted development (so no notification, no conditions, nowt). Still needs building regs though and I'd be surprised if he made thermal efficiency with that massive window.
BUT......a quick look at the Planning Portal tells you that a loft extension is not PD if it involves addition/alteration to a soil and vent pipe. The top left corner of your pic shows what looks suspiciously like the top of a vent pipe- no way that was there before he built the extension so you may have some leverage if you wish to have a conversation with your local planners. The extension does look very 'in your face' (as in very close to your house and quite overbearing on the garden) so he might be on rather thin ice.

Sponsored Links
Would it be more acceptable if the he was a she?

Anyhow, there are requirements for the windows in dormers to be of similar style to those in the main house. If that is not the case, that dormer is not permitted development.

I wonder, why would someone pay so much attention to be looking through someone elses window?
Not sure if you're referring to me, but I've never seen them naked at the window and never look at their window, it's only because my neighbour next door mentioned it, did I take the photo, as I was always curious and somewhat annoyed that we weren't consulted before the extension was built.
I think it's the only house backing on to our bungalows that has a 2nd level/roof extension.

Reminds me of a planning thing I saw years ago, involving an objection to a building that was about 50 or 60 yards away from the objector's garden. The objector, literally, said that 'with binoculars you can easily see into their new windows'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back