Question about Franke taps

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Many years ago a plumber recommended Franke taps due to their parts warranty.
Three years ago I had a kitchen extension done and asked the builder to put in a Franke tap.
It was this one I think (was def. from Screwfix): http://www.screwfix.com/p/franke-olympus-mono-mixer-kitchen-tap-chrome/97195?kpid=97195

The tap now drops. Started with the hot side, now the cold. It pretty much just runs. I tried tightening them, but still drips.

But, I have not receipt, and no contact with the builder (vanished). So, I guess my only option is to get a new tap? Or would Franke still provide replacement parts if that is all that is required?

I also assume that the cost of labour to assess, source parts and fix will probably mean that a new tap might be easier anyway?

Just advice some advice. Annoying as the old tap in the utility (at least we have a spare sink!) is still great after many years!

Sponsored Links
Your tap has ceramic inserts, which need to be replaced - and this is where the fun starts. You must get the exact replacement and this is where Lunns.net come in - they have an excellent website.
Failing that, a new tap may prove simpler to do, in the long run.
Hopefully you can isolate the tap when you are doing your research?
John :)

Thanks. Yeah, have isolated the radio for now. So no way that franke would just send replacement parts?

Sponsored Links
I've got a Franke mixer on a kitchen sink, and a call to them when it started to drip resulted in a new cartridge foc within 2 days and the tap was 3 yrs old at the time. Good company, and I also buy my water filters from them.

Send them a photo of it and tell them your story - they'll be able to send you replacement inserts

I've also had ceramic cartridges for my Franke tap FOC from them. Binning a quality tap defeats the object of buying a quality tap in the first place. You pay extra for Franke, Bristan, etc because you know that they will hold spares to keep your tap working for years to come. Replacing cartridges is a lot cheaper and easier than buying new taps and having to install them.

If they send out free replacements does that mean they know their taps are not that good?

Andy

The tap was over 9 years old and has to cope with very hard water. A rubbish tap wouldn't have lasted that long with constant use.

I'll get in touch with them, thanks!

Is it relatively easy to replace a cartridge?

Franke said they need a receipt to send the parts - even though they are under warranty for 5 years. Annoying, as the builder gave me no receipts.

This is what I need: https://www.tapsandsinksonline.co.uk/product/3308r-kitchen-tap-valve/

Now, it looks to me (remember, I am just a DIY guy who does not even do that well!) these valves can just be screwed on and off - is that the case? I can isolate the water easy enough (have done so for hot, left cold dripping for now as wife kept moaning there was no water!) but don't want to risk making it worse by trying to DIY it. Should it be a really simple job? Or is there more to it?

Yes, isolate supplies, remove tap heads, unscrew existing cartridges, check seats inside tap are clean, screw new ones in and away you go

attempts to remove valve failed. Ordered some pump pliers. Hopefully they will do the trick!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back