QUESTION ABOUT SPARES!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all,
thanks for your help and have been out on me first set of calls today and had to turn off a boiler and issure a warning notice, hope it gets better.
Anyway i have a question if you dont mind, not another one i hear you say.
Hear goes ifound a problem on an old trianco gas boiler, it is the boiler control thermostat phial. The phial itself is wedged solid into its sleeve , its 20 years old and never been serviced. The copper wire connecting to the phial had corroded through , hence the boiler was contiuously firing as it had no means of control. The phial is never going to come out, its corroded in place, i tried for 30 mins or more.
So heres question is it possible to get a new phial that will "Saddle" over the sleeving of the old one or on the central heating pipes.
thanks already!! :D

Sponsored Links
I've had to use a pipe stat when I couldn't get to the built in one. What about drilling out the old one?

thats an option at the back of my head oilman and one im trying to put off lol. I dont even know if they still do spares im phoning TRIANCO in the morning to see if they do, ps got that oil boiler sorted just waiting for spares.thanks again mate :D

Sponsored Links
one question oilman where do you source your oil nozzles and photocells from mate as my old local supplier is closed down,.

CHeck your GSIUR. Basically you mustn't go altering any design unless you can show that your moodification is at least as safe as it was originally. SO you can change some fixings or summat but I wouldn't go changing the design of a safety related bit on a boiler.

The thermostat phial should drill out, though I think the contents can be toxic - even if not mercury!

I would ID it. Customers are disinclined to pay when you do that though!

I've put it down as AR, left him a warning notice and put a warning notice on the appliance as well. As it is 20 years old i asked him to think about a new boiler if i couldnt get the part. Im phoning TRIANCO direct tomorro anyway to see if they even still do the spares.

no kevplumb its soldered/welded to the 22mm pipework going into the heat exchanger

excuse me for being stupid, but it is the norm, ???he???

he means heat exchanger.
The phial thing's only copper alloy - get jiggy with a Black and Decker if you can get the bit.
I'd ID it becasue a boiler with no thermostat is bloody dangerous. If he ignores your notice and puts it back on, and the pump decides to stop and the boiler explodes (I daresay there's no Hi limit stat) and he dies, you go to prison. Spoils your whole day.

I've "seen" an old boiler which was blocked with sludge, take a brick wall out and leave a gas pipe wide open.

there is a hi limit stat chrisr, it sits right next to the boiler stat. it called in the manufacturers instructions overheat cut switch/stat

I'm surprised on one of those! But then OK, AR it is.

OH stat on a 20 year old boiler !, didn't think they even knew what one was back then, cast iron block built like a cheiftan tank, who needed a stat :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back