Question For The DNO Guys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

About 7 years ago we had a brand new three phase supply to our coffee shop and until now we have never seen it as the cables etc were covered by stone (stone covered duct)

Im just a bit puzzled by what we have...

There is a cable coming from the road and it says on the sheath (3 x 70mm) then that goes in to a resin joint (along with a 25mm earth cable from a spike) from there a 16mm cable comes out of it in to our shop.

Few questions...

1. I take it we have a TT supply?
2. If the cable says 3 x 70mm where does our neutral come from?
3. Why has it been done this way?
4. why does the earth go from a spike in to the joint then join to the outgoing cable?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Because there is an earth rod it does not mean it's TT the PME (TN-C-S) the ME means "multiple earths" and the DNO is allowed to use same conductor for earth and neutral. I would guess earth and neutral is using outer case.

The DNO rules are different to what we are allowed to do they seem to be a law onto themselves.

More or less what eric said.

Any cable we use is labelled with the core size so that will be a 3 core & concentric neutral/earth.

Because it is terminated and a service taken from it we are obliged to fit a nominal earth rod to the N/E, which becomes part of the "multiple earth"
the rod will be connected directly to the N/E not via the service cable.

Thanks for your replies, is there any particular reason there is a 70mm cable coming down the field and then jointed to a 16/25mm?

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert on DNO practices, but an educated guess would be either....

70mm is required due to the run length to keep voltage drop and/or fault loop impedance within spec.

OR

To allow for future expansion

Or a bit of both

Or it's cheaper to just buy one size for cables, joints etc

We only have 3 sizes of mains cable, two sizes of service cable (house and street furniture).

The DNO rules are different to what we are allowed to do they seem to be a law onto themselves.

I wish I had a pound for every time I have heard that off consumers, sorry customers ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back