Question for the Domestic Installers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to replace the ageing and shabby switches/sockets in my house with some brushed steel/chrome versions but I'm having a problem deciding which ones would be best to go for :confused:

I like the look of the MK versions with same coloured switches as the plate but you cant seem to get them with black inserts for the sockets which is something I'm looking for.

I've found some volex ones which look OK but I've picked up off this site they are budget kit & I believe you get what you pay for.

My requirements are 4X 2G 2W 10A switches, 1X 10A Intermediate Switch
& 10X 2G 13A Switched Sockets. I want these to be brushed chrome/stainless, with same coloured rockers & Black Inserts on the sockets.

What would you pro's recommend ? I have been told about some sockets that don't require screws to fit the front plates but do these require new mounting boxes. or will they fit in the originals once I have removed the old switches/sockets ?

Thanks in Advance for any help & if you know of the best place to buy them from, I would appreciate it.

Bob
PS The ones with the plates that don't require screws, are they easy to put on/take off for decorating etc ?

Sponsored Links
The ones 'without screws' do actually have screws, they just have a clip-on front plate that hides them, easy to decorate around cos you just snap off the front, decorate, then snap back on after.

Definately reccomend the Crabtree Platinum range. They also do modular faceplates and supply modules for most applications (in black too).

Sponsored Links
Whatever you buy, make sure that they will fit the depth of your existing boxes.

Some sockets require a deeper box than normal.

I wouldn't obsess over MK, I've wired with other brands that, in my personal opinion, have been just as good if not better than MK. Have found the flat plate ranges from TLC Direct to be reliable, well made and easy to wire, and for plastic accessories I've been very satisfied with the GET Ultimate range.

Yes Crabtree are ok. And 10A. I think the TLC ones are 10A also. Screwless clip-on ones only work if your walls are completely flat, and some makes leave the clear plastic part showing which doesn't look good.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks very much for the replies people, that's given me something to get my teeth into now :)

I'm not too sure that the clip-on ones are any better looking than the normal screw type but at least I've got some choices now anyway :D

I avoid GET like the plague, I can like with modulo screws inside a CU but they are just plain annoying inside a socket outlet or such.

Some of there stuff, outside sockets for example are very good value, however.

There's a few things worth mentioning.

Light circuits if old my not have the CPC / earth wire connected. This is wrong, but if plastic switches are used, then it's half safe. Changing over to metal clad switches without the earth is very naughty since the metal could become 'live'.

Please check you have earths at the switches before you change them.

Metal clad sockets tend to be flat faced which means that there's more 'body' behind the face than plastic sockets. If you have shallow back boxes this can be a problem and the socket may not fit correctly or if it does, can squeeze and pinch the cable in the back box.

So I'd suggest you test the socket back boxes for space before doing the work.

There's a few things worth mentioning.

Light circuits if old my not have the CPC / earth wire connected. This is wrong, but if plastic switches are used, then it's half safe. Changing over to metal clad switches without the earth is very naughty since the metal could become 'live'.

Please check you have earths at the switches before you change them.

Metal clad sockets tend to be flat faced which means that there's more 'body' behind the face than plastic sockets. If you have shallow back boxes this can be a problem and the socket may not fit correctly or if it does, can squeeze and pinch the cable in the back box.

So I'd suggest you test the socket back boxes for space before doing the work.

Thanks for the heads-up chri5 but when I say ageing and shabby, I only mean about 10 yrs old or so, it's just I would like to renew them for something a little more stylish. They have generic plastic white on them at the moment and they do look dated.

One thing worth mentioning about using metal faceplates, is to make sure that items like tv points and bt points do not come into contact with the faceplates of 240v outlets and switches. In other words, leave a gap between them.

One last question guys, if you don't mind :LOL:

I've done a deal with a seller on eBay for ten double sockets, five 2g switches and one intermediate switch.
All Crabtree Platinum, for £150 inc P&P. This sounded great to me but I
just wanted to make sure that some of you guys don't know of another
online reseller that does great deals like that before I commit.

Thankyou

Bob

best tip is always to ring your local electrical wholesaler, with descriptions and part no's to hand, and say "can you give me a price for..."

with no P&P (you can drive round, or they will deliver bigger lumps) it should be cheaper.

If not, you can always say "I've been offered a price of..." and see what he says.

every town, however small, has a supplier, possibly on an industrial estate or back street.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back