question re pat test polarity test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just got my shiny new PAT tester (avo pat4) After an hours of trying to understand the menu and setting up the client list i tried to test my workshop radio to get to grips with the machine.All the tests worked fine on the radio then I tested the lead(2 core)on its own,now heres my problem.I conected just the lead to the pat4 and input all the details but when it came to test for polarity it came up as "intermitent fault".This got me thinking that i couldnt remember covering 2 core polarity tests in my pat test course.
Questions
1 how do you test polarity on a lead .Does it have to be plugged into the machine and switched on?
2 If the lead is 2 core and a universal (either way round ) appliance plug why does it matter?
Thanks for any help and please be reasured I will not attempt any testing untill i am confident I have the full information at hand.

Sponsored Links
The lead needs to be plugged into an adapter into the IEC connector to do a polarity test as in EL2 which is pretty pointless as you say it is not polarised hence it doesn't matter which way around it is connected. The actual appliance test should be performed using SC2.

P.S. did you get a software CD and a serial port lead with it? Might be easier setting up the tests using this.

a figure 8 lead is reversable anyway so a polarity test makes no sense on it.

for leads that can be polarity tested you need a special item (iirc it contains a resistor and a diode but the exact setup is likely to vary by pat tester brand) sometimes this is built into the tester (you often find an IEC inlet that is used for this and for doing earth continuity testing on IEC leads).

afaict for anything other than IEC leads and extention leads polarity tests are pretty pointless, modern equipment is built to work safely with either polarity and older equipment is very unlikely to have the more unusual modern input connectors.

PAT tester ?
Is that a machine that tests Portable Appliance Testers then?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back