Question regarding LPG quantity and usage...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We had LPG heating installed at the end of October and I was led to believe that 4 bottles would last probably 2 - 3 months of used moderately. We are pretty tight with our heating usage and the thermostat is usually say to around 16 or 17 c when we're home, occasionally going up to 18 if it's particularly cold outside. Heating is off at night and when we're out.

We've been pretty horrified by our gas usage since it's been installed and we're wondering if there are some issues.

According to info online, mains gas is about 8p a unit, and LPG should be about 13p a unit, so I was expecting LPG to workout about 2/3 more expensive than what we were paying for mains at our old house, which was about £60-70 a month in winter.

When we had a bit of a cold snap at the end of Nov, early December, we got through 2 bottles (£150) in two and a half weeks! We used 3 and a bit bottles in around a month (£300). This is vastly more expensive than mains gas, even taking in the expected difference based on the unit price.

The thing that concerns me is that I've read various websites saying that each 47kg bottle should have about 656 kwh in, so for four bottles it's about 2627 kWh. When I look at my boiler it tells me it has used 50.3kwh hours over the last month, however I've got through 4 bottles!

I'm also concerned that the bottles I'm receiving aren't full. I know they have some space at the top naturally to allow for decompression, but from what I can tell they come about 3/4. See my black lines in the picture.

Should I be overly concerned? We've done some work to patch up and block potential areas of heat loss in the house, but I'm still worried there's is something wrong somewhere and It's going to leave us bankrupt!
1000010995.jpg

Sponsored Links
My Oil fired heating is on for over 16 hours/day and I used 2304 kwh (oil) for the month of December in a 4 bedroom 50 year old cavity block house, I keep the two combined "living rooms" at 19.5C from 0700 to 1800 and at 20.5C from 1800 to 0030, bedrooms at 16/17C and kitchen at 19C so that gives a very rough idea of what your consumption might be.
If you think the bottles are only 3/4 full then why not get a bathroom scales or whatever and weigh a new bottle, the tare weight is/should be written on the bottle so easy to calculate the net kgs of LPG received.

What do you mean by "When I look at my boiler it tells me it has used 50.3kwh hours over the last month"?.

Last edited:
My Oil fired heating is on for over 16 hours/day and I used 2304 kwh (oil) for the month of December in a 4 bedroom 50 year old cavity block house, I keep the two combined "living rooms" at 19.5C from 0700 to 1800 and at 20.5C from 1800 to 0030, bedrooms at 16/17C and kitchen at 19C so that gives a very rough idea of what your consumption might be.

Similar 3 bed. We used 1846Kw in December.

weight of bottle on delivery is key to proving what you have been delivered. each bottle has a "Tare" weight label firmly attached to it, if missing trading standards world take an extreme interest in any company that tried that. weight on delivery should match "Tare"+ weight paid for.

Sponsored Links
weight of bottle on delivery is key to proving what you have been delivered. each bottle has a "Tare" weight label firmly attached to it, if missing trading standards world take an extreme interest in any company that tried that. weight on delivery should match "Tare"+ weight paid for.

I don't know if still true, but the bottles used to be stamped in Pounds and Ounces.

The thing that concerns me is that I've read various websites saying that each 47kg bottle should have about 656 kwh in, so for four bottles it's about 2627 kWh.
Approximately correct.

When I look at my boiler it tells me it has used 50.3kwh hours over the last month
That is nonsense.
If true, at mains gas prices of 8p, that would make your gas bill for the entire month only £4.

at our old house, which was about £60-70 a month in winter.
£60-£70 per month for the whole year (which is £780 per year or so, still at the very low end for typical UK home gas use)
or just £60 per month for the winter?
and was that what you were paying or actually using - there can be a vast difference.

Not really possible to compare with a previous property either, as it will have different heating requirements, weather each year is different, it's a different boiler and so on.

Average gas use annually for a medium sized UK house is 11500kWh per year, and most of that will in the winter months, so 1500 - 1800kWh per month would not be unusual in the winter.
Could easily be a lot higher for a poorly insulated building.

If you think the bottles are only 3/4 full then why not get a bathroom scales or whatever and weigh a new bottle, the tare weight is/should be written on the bottle so easy to calculate the net kgs of LPG received.

What do you mean by "When I look at my boiler it tells me it has used 50.3kwh hours over the last month"?.
This is what it shows:
1000010469.jpg

... though, from what everyone is saying it appears that this must be the average daily use.
I did wonder if that might be the case and even looked in the boiler manual to check. The manual didn't provide any clarification though.

But 50.3 x 30 = 1509kwh which would put it in the same ballpark as what others have quoted for monthly use.

I will also try weighing new bottles when they arrive, however they will have the pipes already connected so that might affect it. Hadn't thought about trying to weigh them as they are so heavy to lift.

£60-£70 per month for the whole year (which is £780 per year or so, still at the very low end for typical UK home gas use)
or just £60 per month for the winter?
and was that what you were paying or actually using - there can be a vast difference.

Not really possible to compare with a previous property either, as it will have different heating requirements, weather each year is different, it's a different boiler and so on.
I was having to go from memory to be honest as I couldn't easily access my old bills from more than a year ago. It was around that though in the winter months only. We are pretty frugal and the old house was much better insulated.

This is what it shows:
View attachment 327612

... though, from what everyone is saying it appears that this must be the average daily use.
I did wonder if that might be the case and even looked in the boiler manual to check. The manual didn't provide any clarification though.

But 50.3 x 30 = 1509kwh which would put it in the same ballpark as what others have quoted for monthly use.

I will also try weighing new bottles when they arrive, however they will have the pipes already connected so that might affect it. Hadn't thought about trying to weigh them as they are so heavy to lift.

The HW boiler consumption shows 1.9kwh/day?, assuming 88% boiler efficiency and mains water at 11C (just now) then HW consumption was the equivalent of 49.4LPD at 40C (29.4LPD @ 60C), how does that sound??.

That sounds about right. We don't use much hot water, we have an electric shower and dishwasher.

I'd hope that the boiler was reaching higher efficiency. It's brand new and thought it was specced at 90+

I'm just using the 88% figure, it won't change the calculations to any big degree anyway.
On that basis then you might say that those bottles are ony being filled to 57.4%, 1509/2627, or if you only used 3.25 bottles in december, 74.2%, 1509/2035, which is what you suspect (75%), get that weighing scales out of the bathroom.

I live in a 4 bed detached house, gas usage is for heating, hot water and cooking (gas hob). My gas consumption for December 2023 was 1,738.42kWh at a cost of 7.31p/kWh, the standing charge is 27.47p/day. We have the house at between 17c and 20c depending on the time of day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back