Quick Q Regarding Sockets Near Sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody please tell me what the regs say regarding electric sockets & the distance they should be from a sink/drainer?

We are changing the sink to a R/H drainer from a L/H drainer & I am aware there is a socket near where the drainer is now going to be.

Sponsored Links
i believe it is 300mm horizontal distance from edge of sink or drainer.

IMO it still looks too close for my liking.

i cannot recall any specific reg regarding this, but, i would want a socket no closer than 300mm

well done Mikhail you beat me to it

Thanks, 300mm does seem awfully close, was thinking more like 600mm to be on the safe side.

Sponsored Links
There is no reg in BS7671 re the distance. The Electricians Guide to the Building Regs recommends a minimum of 300mm
(its a GUIDE).

BS7671 does say a lot about accessories being suitable for the environment, though ;)

In older editions of the regulations there was a limit but this has now been removed. Since the length of cable for kettles is around 300mm it is often considered that it should be placed so a kettle can't fall in sink while still plugged in. Hence 300mm limit.

Having said that I think there is a plumbing regulation as to distance.

Our regulations do however in Appendix 5 under AD4 ask for IPX4 which sockets will not normally comply with. There are so many interlinked bits within Appendix 5 that one may consider this does the same as old limit. This is all open to interpretation and you would have to wade through all the pages to be sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back