Quickie: Kitchen / Diner with separate cct for appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I'm planning a rewire for a Kitchen / Diner. I've read that it's a good idea to have kitchen appliances on the non RCD side of the CU, to stop your fridge defrosting when something blows.

My question is what's the best way to handle this with a combined Kitchen / Diner?

My idea is to have a circuit running from the non RCD side of the CU supplying only the kitchen appliances, and connecting to the appliances via FCU's.

All the other sockets in the kitchen / diner would be running of the normal ground floor ring main from the RCD side of the CU.

Is this a good plan? If so, what rating of MCB would people advise? I'm only planning on running the fridge, freezer, washer and dryer off this circuit. Would a 20A MCB be overkill?

Ross

Sponsored Links
myxiplx said:
I'm only planning on running the fridge, freezer, washer and dryer off this circuit. Would a 20A MCB be overkill?

Ross if you allow 3kw for the DW & Washer you get 6kw = 26 Amps maximum demand. Applying diversity you could argue 20 amps would be ok but I would go for a 32 amp ring or radial final circuit the extra cable cost is negligible against the risk of the freezer going off.

erm

most sockets in your kitchen should be on rcd if its ground floor

it is adviseable to put the firdge and freezer on non rcd and this should be done with a totally seperate cuircuit from the CU

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, 32A it is then. :)

Plugwash, the sockets will be on RCD, it will just be the appliances that'll be on a separate circuit.

Are you saying I would be better running just the fridge & freezer off the non-RCD circuit? I've plenty of space in the CU to run a seperate circuit for the washer, dryer (& dishwasher if I buy one later).

That would then give me a non-RCD cct solely for the Fridge / Freezer. A seperate RCD protected 32A circuit would power the washer, dryer & dishwasher, and a third RCD protected circuit would run the ground floor ring.

All appliances would be wired directly into their respective ccts via FCU's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back