Quote to rewire a flat-excessive?

Sponsored Links
Each estimate will depend on what you have asked for .i.e. the number of points (sockets or ceiling rose/switches), the cable runs and the type of the consumer unit you require. RCD protection tends to be less expensive than RCBO protection but at greater possible inconvience since the former will protect a number of circuits but the latter will protect individual circuits.

Have a look at this site http://www.whatprice.co.uk/electrician/.

As a rough guide £300 for the consumer unit and £50 per point seems to be the average - but each estimate will always be tailored to your requirements.

I suspect you need to ask the sparks if he thinks it needs a rewire.

Rewireables does make it sound old, my parents place was built by the council in the 70's and has a dorman smith board with MCB's

I'd have thaught by the 80's they'd have been onto widespread use of MCB's or at the very least cartridge fuses.

If you cant stretch to 1700 nor get any cheaper quotes, then i'd say get a modern CU put in and rectify any faults that show up during the installation and testing of it and leave it at that for now.

Hi sugar,

What do you think to what FourFootMedia said?
Do you plan on living in this house for a long time?
If so, it might be aswell to bite the bullet and get it sorted whilst it is the minimum of fuss.

As BAS said, who knows how much was changed when the place was done in the 80's? It might have just has new fronts put onto really old wiring?

Try to get quotes that sound the same in what they offer, the cheapest might not always be preferred.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I'll be there for the next maybe 3-5 years I would say. If it really needs to be done, it would be best to do it now before I move in...

I have replied to my electrician asking for a quote for a new CU and wiring for new sockets/switches/and lighting as well as a safety test and certification.

In the meanwhile, ill get some more sparks round for some quotes and go from there.

Many thanks for all your help everyone, much appreciated.

Make sure all the sparks quote the same.

A wise move would be for you to consider exactly (well with your planing head on) what you want.

A simple room by room schedule or even a paint drawing showing:-

Sockets per room (consider TV, Sky, Hifi areas, bed location for side tables, hall area etc)
Lights, switches, double switching such as bed and wall- importantly a single pendant is 'X', a group of spots 'Y' on costing.
Boiler
Hotwater
kitchen and appliances, cooker as a separate circuit.

Then consider the fittings, MK are one prices and contract carp is another, same with metal faced items x 3 the MK costs (ish).

You should also agree the rules regarding making good, plaster damage, tile issues in kitchen, sealed floor problems. Repair of such by a builder, plasterer or decorator eases my cost.

BTW £1700 is not OTT, but as others have said unseen- so price means nothing.

By doing so, you will get apples for apples quotes.

a few things to consider, have you thaught of having a periodic inspection report on the installation to see what state the wiring is in? Also, the cheapest contractor may or may not be the best, go with someone you feel comfortable with and get a good vibe from. How did you come to the conclusion that the re-wire would cost £1200?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back