Quoting

S

Shutpa

If I want to quote from the replies of 2 or more members replies in my reply to a topic, how do I go about it? Also if if want to quote from another topic, how do I do that?

Sponsored Links
Haven't you had enough on the subject of quoting :?: :LOL:

If you look down this page there is a topic about Quoting. :D

Haven't you had enough on the subject of quoting :?: :LOL:

If you look down this page there is a topic about Quoting. :D

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Thanks Bahco.

If even one member takes the advice not to get quotes as a general rule, then sadly I will have failed in my mission

If I want to quote from the replies of 2 or more members replies in my reply to a topic, how do I go about it? Also if if want to quote from another topic, how do I do that?

I don't know if there is an "official" way, but I do it as follows:

1. highlight the text I want to quote (hold right button down and drag the mouse over the text) and pressing CTRL+C to copy it
2. click the "quote" button to insert the start quote marker
3. press Ctrl+V to paste the quote
3 press the "quote*" button to insert the end quote marker.

I only recently found that the latest posts of a topic is shown in reverse order below the "Post a reply" box. Unfortunately if the topic is very long you can only see earlier posts by the "another topic" method given next.

If I want to quote from another topic, I open a second copy of diynot in another tab and follow the same copy and paste method.

Sponsored Links
I don't know if there is an "official" way, but I do it as follows:

1. highlight the text I want to quote (hold right button down and drag the mouse over the text) and pressing CTRL+C to copy it
2. click the "quote" button to insert the start quote marker
3. press Ctrl+V to paste the quote
3 press the "quote*" button to insert the end quote marker.

Ah, this is the poor mans way! Click "quote" in the post you want to quote. It will open a reply page with that post already quoted. Add your post to the bottom of this reply box. It is generally considered bad etiquette to quote whole posts, when your reply only relates to a small part of the post.

If you wish to quote from another thread/topic, as you say, open it in another tab or window, and do the same, but copy the resultant quote text into the topic you wish to post it in.

The advantage of using the quote button, as you see above, is that it produces a clickable link where the persons name goes in the quote, by using the format:

"D_Hailsham" ; p="743887" said:
<what he wrote> [ /quote]

*without the spaces* where p= the post reference number (visible when you hover on the "quote" button in the relevant post. This is particularly advantageous where you are quoting from another topic/thread, as it is easily referenced that you're not making it up!

Click "quote" in the post you want to quote. It will open a reply page with that post already quoted. Add your post to the bottom of this reply box.
It is generally considered bad etiquette to quote whole posts, when your reply only relates to a small part of the post.

As Steve's reply but you can delete what you do not wish to appear in the quote by using backspace or highlighting and then using delete button on your keyboard.
:D

I meant to write that. I was thinking that as I wrote it. Why didnt I write it? :confused: :LOL:

Ah, this is the poor mans way! Click "quote" in the post you want to quote. It will open a reply page with that post already quoted. Add your post to the bottom of this reply box. It is generally considered bad etiquette to quote whole posts, when your reply only relates to a small part of the post.

I think you are missing the point. What the OP asked was:

I am sure the OP can be credited with the intelligence to know what the quote button in a post is for. :)

You can press quote, copy the resulting text, then click quote in another thread, and paste the other quote into the same post! ;)

I think you are missing the point. What the O(A)P asked was:

Thank you for missing out the 'A', how kind of you. You are right in assuming that I know how to make a quote from a reply that I am reading at the time.

Sponsored Links
Back