Rad removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all,
I am attempting to remove a rad or two for decoration purposes, have checked the site first and tried every thing I can think of whilst being wary of "delicate" copper piping.
Problem : I cant loosen the nuts at both ends of the rad(s), have shut both ends down. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tony

Sponsored Links
Are you turning the nuts the correct way? Left side spanner downwards. Right side spanner upwards. Hold the valve rigid with another spanner while you loosen them

are you turning the nut in the right direction? The nut is on the rad adaptor.
Therefore at the right side you will be lifting the wrench up and at the left side pushing it down. Or if you take a view of the side of the rad through the valve you will be turning the wrench clockwise. Also grip the valve with another wrench.

Are you trying to undo the nuts on the rad side of the valve or the other side.
Have you drained the whole system or just shut the valves? If you have just shut the valves remember the rad is heavy & there is a lot of crappy water in the rad.

Sponsored Links
How big are your nuts :?: Some have a Flange and some have an olive . If your flange is big it could be stuck with old smeggy jointing compound . Small ones have Olives and are less problem usually.

Many thanks for all your help but finally managed to free the rad eventually.
As for the size of my nuts - well thats for me to know and not for you to find out!!! lol They weren't the olive type. I didn't quite have dirty water in the rad more sludge than anything!

Any tips on re-fitting them, as you can probably tell I have zero plumbing experience but at least I'm giving it a go :D

Many thanks once again.

Before you refit them take them into the garden (if you have one)With both valves open, give them a full bore blast througn with a hose

Cheers Snugib
Done that for about 20 mins tonight - how much c**p can come out of one rad?!?!?!?

Different rad this time : air in system would mean cold at top warm at bottom - mine is other way round, cold at bottom hot at top. Any ideas??

Cheers again

Any tips on re-fitting them, as you can probably tell I have zero plumbing experience but at least I'm giving it a go :D

Many thanks once again.

A light smear of Fernox LSX on the union (or Flange as Nige F described) to re-fit the rad(s).

Flooze

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back