Radiator 'clicking' - not sure what to adjust - see photo?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I recently had a new radiator fitted in our bedroom with a thermostatic valve on one side of it. At around 6am when the heating comes on the valve 'clicks' as the radiator warms up.

A bit of Googling and it seems the noise is from the spring bouncing in and out and the 'fix' is to balance the radiator by restricting the flow of water into the other side of it.

When I checked the other side of it to see if there was a valve there is this and I'm not sure what (if anything) I adjust to slow the water going into the radiator?

IMG_20210110_124314.jpg

I didn't want to start digging the top off that white thing without knowing what I was doing?

That just looks like a T-piece, capped at the top, connected to a bleeding-type thing?? (but I know nothing about plumbing so wanted to run it past the experts).

Can I restrict the flow with this and (if so) how?

Many thanks for your help :)

Sponsored Links
The right hand valve with the nut on top. Loosen the nut and you'll find an allen key valve in it (7mm I think), that adjusts the valve open and closed.

That being said, when it's clicking, if you turn the radiator valve (TRV?) on the other side down does it stop? Clicking can be the metal of the rad expanding or the rad clicking on the brackets as it warms up and nothing to do with the valve(s).

Hi Rab,
Thanks for getting back to me. I did read about the rad expanding and causing the clicking but it seems really solid against the wall. No movement at all.

I'll try turning the TRV down and see if that helps - if not I'll adjust the valve.

Thanks again for your information - I never would have dared take the top off that right-hand nut as I thought that was just a 'blank' stopping the water!! :)

Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back