Radiator Key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to bleed a couple of rads so I got a rad key from the local DIY shop, a little brass key - it's too big. It fits my new rad but not the old (which is about 20 years old).

I have been everywhere looking for a smaller rad key - I can't find anything, anywhere.

Does a smaller key actually exist?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
the problem you have is that the old bleed points are worn down, what you can do is cut a bit off the end of your rad key, this will allow the key to fit further onto the old bleed point, sometimes a wee gentle tap of the key once its on will help it catch the old bleed point and will let it turn

Thanks for your reply. The rad key is the same width all the way down the barrel so it won't help if I cut some of it off.

I've looked closely and the bleed point is definately smaller than the key, the key just keeps going round when I turn it.

I'm tempted to remove the whole bit that incorporates the bleed valve and replace it with new - is that easy for a DIYer?

Thanks.

Despite what people in plumbers merchants may tell you, it is possible to buy smaller size radiator keys. The commonly sold brass ones are just too large to fit the bleeding nipples in my radiators which date from the 1970s.

The smaller ones are DRAPER stock No.74880 Part No. RK2
Just search ebay.co.uk for zinc radiator keys or search for a Draper stockist.

These are considered inferior because the zinc casting can snap, BUT THEY FIT MY RADIATORS while the brass ones do not. They are very cheap, so buy a couple.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
It looks as though these are still available (Apr 2021). Draper Part number is now DRA-24866 or try searching on Draper radiator keys

Thanks for your reply. The rad key is the same width all the way down the barrel so it won't help if I cut some of it off.

I've looked closely and the bleed point is definately smaller than the key, the key just keeps going round when I turn it.

I'm tempted to remove the whole bit that incorporates the bleed valve and replace it with new - is that easy for a DIYer?

Thanks.

If you look at the end of your brass rad key you'll see the hole in the end is slightly chamfered the poster as previously mentioned is talking about cutting the chamfer off. He's right it may then fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back