Radiator - Thread gone? Switch off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an old style radiator (img below) - it began to leak and my friend said 'the thread has gone' - i dont even know what that means!
He said to 'turn it off' by turning the knob (see to right of img) 90%- it appeared to stop the dripping for a bit, but now it has started again (very slowly).
Advice appreciated on how to fix and how to stop it from dripping!

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ra...&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:34&biw=1280&bih=685

Thanks

Sponsored Links
THe image shown is a modern panel radiator form a merchants website!!!
how does this help us to advise you :confused: :idea: Why not take a picture of the actual leaking radiator and post it on here you will get a much better response!! :rolleyes:

thanks for your response. apart from the knobs being the other way round it is identical. i dont have access to a camera at this time. I'm sure the solution is the same regardless of the picture. :)

Have you turned off the valve at each end? youll need a pair of grips to turn off the lockshield after pulling the blind cap off of the valve count the number of turns to completely close the valve, when the rad is put back into service you will then know how far to open the lockshield!

Also do you have the plastic decorator's caps for your TRV's? if you have unscrew the thermostatic head from the valve body and screw on the plastic cap nice and tight!! now cooler mornings and evenings are upon us it could be that your TRV is opening in colder temperatures! ;)

Sponsored Links
one end ive turned off with grips, and one end is a westherm dial which ive turned to 0 - will that suffice!?

"plastic decorator's caps for your TRV's" -im not sure what these are!?

The decorators cap is a small plastic cap which is temporarily fitted in place of the thermostatic head (your 'westherm dial') to ensure the valve is kept closed regardless of the air temperature.

Is the radiator leaking from the top at one end where the bleed screw is?

There are 2 realistic options then - if the thread on the small plug has failed, it may be possible to obtain a new plug (or buy another cheap part with one in it and use that).
If the thread in the radiator has failed / rusted, it's time for a new radiator.

A third and not recommended option would be to rethread the hole in the radiator to a larger size and fit a different threaded screw in there. However this has a good chance of totally ruining the radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back