Radiators cold at bottom (how to bleed)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my girlfriend's house has some radiators what I think need bleeding.

I'm used to bleeding radiators at the top of the rad when they are cold at the top.

The radiators at my girlfriends are cold at the bottom and red hot at the top. They don't have a point at the top to use a rad key. But at the bottom near the valve/connection pipe they do have what looks like can be bled with a rad key (but I'm not 100% sure).

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeh. These are the bottom bleeds for heavy air. I'm sure there is a thread on here about them :D

I'm used to bleeding radiators at the top of the rad when they are cold at the top.
That's because the air rises to the top.

The radiators at my girlfriends are cold at the bottom and red hot at the top.
Rads which are cold at the bottom normally means they are blocked up with sludge.

They don't have a point at the top to use a rad key.
Look on the back of the rad near the end, the bleed valve may be covered by a metal cap about the size of a 10p piece.

at the bottom near the valve/connection pipe they do have what looks like can be bled with a rad key (but I'm not 100% sure).
Bleed valves are always at the top. That will be the drain point.

Turn off both valves (count number of turn on lockshield - valve without a handle). If you have a thermostatic valve take care as not all models can turn right off.

Drain rad through the drain point - preferably with a hose into the garden. (protect carpets or you may have an ex-girlfriend ;) )

Remove rad and take into garden
Hose the rad through until it runs clear. Thumping the rad with a rubber mallet or similar will help dislodge any sludge.
Replace rad
Reset valves and check.

Sponsored Links
cold at the bottom is caused by sludge or the water taking an easier route to the exit valve
i assume both valves are at the bottom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back