Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone tell me what the difference is between an expensive panel radiator and one from say Wickes ? The difference in price seems to be quite steep but they look like the same thing to me - same style and shape , powder coated, same BTU output per size, etc. Is there any difference in performance and durability ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Check on the quarantee period, should be 10 yrs minimum, and also the KW rating. I presume they will be better quality as really you only get what you do pay for. :D

Thanks for your response. I agree you get what you pay for, I just wondered what the actual difference was - is it better quality materials, does the cheaper radiator fail quicker ?

To me it's just a piece of metal on the wall so I'm not sure what can go wrong with them as I don't undertstand how they work.

Sponsored Links
Gorby said:
Thanks for your response. I agree you get what you pay for, I just wondered what the actual difference was - is it better quality materials, does the cheaper radiator fail quicker ?

To me it's just a piece of metal on the wall so I'm not sure what can go wrong with them as I don't undertstand how they work.
The two main attributes of a radiator are efficiency and longevity. And resistance to flow. The three main attributes.... I'll come in again.

If you ask the manufacturer of the more expensive rad then they ought to tell you why it's supposedly better than a cheaper one.

If you check the rating of two otherwise physically equal rads, then I would expect you to see a difference in output, indicating that one is more efficient.

Quality of steel will largely dicate longevity, although a chemical inhibitor is strongly recommended.

Having said all this, designer rads have price tags that have nothing to do with their functionality.

Wickes prices are low for a reason. If you can't find the reason then suspect that it's lack of quality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back