rag/tissue inside the boiler...is it dangerous?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend wants to change his complicated thermostat to a simple mechanical clock like mine and wanted to check the wiring was the same, opened my 2yr old worcester bosch junior 24i to find a wet and slightly charred tissue stuck in it ...see photos. the boiler has been fine except when nearly new it cut out a few times and wouldnt restart. worcesterbosch man came out and must have used this tissue to fix it. he told me he repaired a gasket?? bit miffed to say the least as it seems to me that this could have caught light. A. is this dangerous. B. what is the problem that it is trying to fix. C. should i take it out. your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/11whitehavenav/Image110.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/11whitehavenav/Image108.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/11whitehavenav/Image106.jpg

Sponsored Links
depends on who you ask if it is dangerous or not. corgi class where that paper is as "in the combusten chamber".

Sponsored Links
Probably a Worcester TSB to soak up the water from the carp flue design. :LOL:

Thanks for the replies! glad its not dangerous. it is a difficult/expencive job to repair the leaking flue and would it most likely have been caused by a bad installation or is it a design fault. i.e. should i go thru the hassle of getting worcester back to fix the flue or should i just get it fixed when i have it serviced.

There is obviously a problem and the Worcester engineer does not seem to have fixed it so its still leaking a little and the tissue holds the water until it evaporates.

Was it a warranty visit or a paid for visit?

Whichever I think that you should have the actual leak fixed as a follow on in case it gets worse and damages something.

Tony

Thanks for your reply Agile. i took your advice to get back to Worcester, despite it now being out of warrenty.

At first they were having none of it and said i would have to pay for all the work despite it being due to their dodgy work.

they were a bit dismissive and asked to see the photos so i emailed them over, 10mins later i got a call back saying that they are going to fix it free of charge first thing tomorrow morning!

The lady who rang was very nice and said she was 'shocked'. Saved me a few bob on having it repaired myself with the service. Many thanks! tom

Just to let you know, the worcester guy came a few days ago and fitted a new gas sensor, as apparently is a different design and so if water gets in it wont cut the boiler out.

he also fitted a flue gard to stop water getting in as he thought this might be how the water was getting in (?? could that be right).

he also installed a new condensate tank as he said that could be backing up. all sounded a bit strange but hopefully it will be working now. thanks for your replies and advice. tom

(p.s. does anyone want a danfoss tp5 £15, too annoying to change so got a mechaical clock and stat)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back