Toilet soil pipe location.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im doing some planning before i start renovating this nasty bathroom (see photo) but Ive found a problem with the location of the soil pipe… basically it’s a bit too far from the wall and its raised up from the floor with a thick ring round it which means I cant get the new close coupled toilet far enough back to fix it to the wall and even if I could the pipe sticks up too high to use an offset connector.

pic here: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/11whitehavenav/DSC00458.jpg

My questions are:
1. Are there any tricks to get rid of the raised and exposed soil pipe so that I can put the toilet right upto it and use an offset connector or is it a lost cause.

2. Would a totally flexible pan connector which could double back on itself be better or are they rubbish, has anyone used one?

3. Would the easiest thing to do to make a box behind the cistern to bring it all forward.

Any helpful advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
does the soil pipe go outside or is it internal? if you want the cistern right upto the wall it would be better to replace it with plastic and come straight through the wall if it's external, or from the stack if its internal, with the pipe right upto the wall

otherwise use either a swan neck connector http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webtables/23824.jpg

or flexi connector, and place some battons behind the cistern, then hope it doesn't leak :p

aaah thats a good plan, didnt think of that! i will have a look out the back to see if i could take it out the back wall and into the sewer that way. Thanks for the reply! Have a good day

Firstly, let me make clear I'm not a plumber or builder but just thought I'd pass on my personal experience.

I had exactly the same problem where my cistern cracked and so I bought a new close coupled toilet and found I couldn't get the toilet far enough back because of the top of the soil pipe as shown here.

ToiletConnector.jpg

In my case, I cut the clay drain pipe off below the floorboards level with the concrete base below which then left the top of the clay drain pipe with a 4 inch bore which a normal pan connector fitted into. At the moment I have a flexible pan connector in situ and it works fine, however this is only temporary while we refit the W/C and I may well replace with solid plastic pipe to bring the drain upto flooboard level.

When I said I cut the clay pipe, this was my original plan. What actually happened was that in trying to chip the cement holding the pan connector onto the top flange the clay pipe cracked at exactly the right point level with the concrete below. I don't think I could have done it better if I had cut it :D

Of course, this is only possible if you have a suspended floor, if it's a solid floor you're knackered.

I hope this is of some help

Russell

Sponsored Links
Personally, I would trial fit the new cc wc to the existing soil pipe and then design a nice framework behind it so that there is a box (removeable lid)for the cistern support, pipework , the adjacent handbasin pipework and maybe even storage for some toilet rolls, etc. The box could even go up to 2 metres and incorporate a cabinet and shelves, etc.

Breaking through the wall to fit a soil pipe to accommodate a cc wc is a bit of overkill, IMHO.

Thanks everyone for replying!! Your help has been greatfully recieved.

Im currently mulling over wether to try to crack the raised bit/donut bit off at floor level by tapping it outwards with a chisel or to make a small box behind the cistern to bring it all forward. Think im going to go with the latter as there is less chance of distruction as i cant fix the pipe as the floor is concrete. I will let you know how it goes...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back