Raised patio and steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am planning on making a raised patio with steps up to the back living room (external door due to be fitted) in my garden.
I have a few question I hope you can help with:

1) How could I create these 3/4 steps down to the patio from the back living room without breaching the damp proof course?

2) I am having an internal wall removed so can I use the bricks as infill for the raised patio and then use type 1 MOT on top?

3) Can the hardcore/MOT be laid directly on grass and then built up, compacting between layers?

These are pictures of my garden currently. I have concrete steps coming down from the kitchen which I’d like to change to paving.
32FF32D2-7207-4C29-B73C-0047A2804B9B.jpeg0A65CD20-C801-4733-8516-00E8AB92F852.jpeg

This is a picture of how I would like the steps/patio to look. Do you know the name of the type of paving used?
D46248B2-C21D-4B70-947F-4FA0DCAD57FD.jpeg

Many thanks,
Max

Sponsored Links
Do you know where your DPC is? I can't see it... at a guess above the air vent.

Looks like Grey Indian stone (but it's a guess).

Where is the 'new' door going?

Do you know where your DPC is? I can't see it... at a guess above the air vent.

Looks like Grey Indian stone (but it's a guess).

Where is the 'new' door going?
It looks like the DPC is directly below the air vent.

The new door will be going in the middle of the bay window (left of the picture).

Sponsored Links
You will need to either re site the airbrick or vent through steps with downpipe and new airbrick in steps, a solution to the DPC being breached will be to place a damp proof membrane against the wall, and cut off excess at top of flags, the flags look like Kota indian sandstone.

You will need to either re site the airbrick or vent through steps with downpipe and new airbrick in steps, a solution to the DPC being breached will be to place a damp proof membrane against the wall, and cut off excess at top of flags, the flags look like Kota indian sandstone.
Thanks this is really useful.

Just a follow up question would it be okay to lay the paving on top of the existing concrete? Or would it be best to remove the top layer of concrete, level with type 1 MOT and then lay the paving.

Personally i'd take the concrete up and put a new base down, it doesn't look in the best condition, you may find it easier to work to levels of your choosing rather than trying to fit everything around the existing, you will need a concrete footing for the steps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back