Random siren blast from bell box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Texecom Premier Elite system which has 2 Oddysey siren and strobe boxes: 1 at the front of the house and 1 at the back.

On a couple of occasions I have noticed this randomly go off and sound the siren. It's whilst we have been in the house and without the alarm armed. It's usually 1 or the other box. It sounds for a while and then stops itself. Nothing appears on my keypad whilst this is happening.

It happened yesterday again but would not stop. Eventually, I armed the alarm and left the house. It then stopped and hasn't occurred since.

Can you shed some light on the possible causes please. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Lost + to bellbox or lost - / bad tamper switch if not wired correctly as this would bring up tamper on the control panel

whats in the event log?
how are the two bells wired up to the panel (specifically the tamper circuit) also do both sirens trigger together or its it the front or the back one.

This situation deteriorated today as one of the bell box was a ringing continuously for around 10 mins. Usually it was only for a few seconds.

I switched off the main supply into the control panel and then opened up the panel to disconnect the battery. As soon as the battery in the panel was disconnected, the siren stopped. Does that prove anything?

Also, the led blink light on the front siren box (not the one on the rear) also stopped last week.

Here is a picture of the bell box wiring.

Attachments

• 64514E32-8140-41EA-89CC-69F02AF511CA.jpeg
    64514E32-8140-41EA-89CC-69F02AF511CA.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 167
Sponsored Links
Very poor ....tamper linked out ....what’s connected to this looks like 3 items...

It must be the two external bell boxes and two internal sounders

Are you sure your not overloading the bell supply ? What is on the system ? Inc detectors ,keypads expanders ect

It’s been working fine for around 4 years. Not had any issues. I have two sounders inside the house and the two bell boxes outdoors. I seem to recall that I limited the siren box connectivity for power reasons...
I think that’s why I only have one Strobe wire connected. I think that was the rationale.

Sorry, I missed your question on everything that’s on the system:
- 9 PIRs
- 3 Push button PA
- 1 door close detector “thingy”
- 1 relay for Smoke Alarms
- dialler
- 2 internal sounders
- 2 external bell boxes
- 2 keypads

All of the above has been in place for approximately 4 years.

What's the current draw of your system.
Take reading in standby and then in alarm. Bell circuit max 1amp.
Why is the bell tamper linked out in control panel.
As already mentioned what is displayed in event log.

I have been working on this since and have an update I would like to share. I am hoping this will help diagnose the issues I am experiencing.
There are a total of 4 cables in this image connecting into the "siren section" of the board.
upload_2021-2-28_12-5-13.png

This includes (wiring details in brackets):
External siren at front of house (12v, 0v, Tamper, Strobe)
External siren at rear of house (12v, 0v)
Internal sounder on landing (12v, Bell)
Internal Sounder and Speaker in hallway (12v, 0v, Bell, Spk-)

Neither of the external siren boxes have the bell wire connected but despite that I have been getting these random blasts of the siren (from both siren boxes) and most recently, I had the continuous bellowing of siren on the external siren at the front of the house. Interested to hear any possible explanations for this.

I then disconnected all of these wires and wanted to share the following observations:
- When the external siren at front of house only had its 12v and 0V wired, it had no blinking LED on the external box. Since this is the box that caused the recent issues, I have completely disconnected it for now.
- When that metal loop wasn't trapped between 0v and Tamper, the Control Panel was ringing out the alarm (from its onboard speaker) but when I entered my code into the keypad, this stopped. When the metal loop was reinserted, I didn't have this issue when re-powering the system during my testing. Please note that the cover was off the control panel when I was performing these tests.

I don't own a multi-meter and therefore can't report the voltages but am hoping that the above provides some clues.

After wiring everything (apart from the external siren at the front of the house), I successfully completed a Walk Test and all seems operational again. I still have the outstanding issue with the siren box at the front of the house but also have reservations with the siren box at the rear as hat has also been randomly going off.

Can I please have your advice on this. Thanks again.

Tamper is open on bell box or no supply or low supply voltage ....your not going to solve this without a multimeter....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back