Range Master Classic 110 Cooker Hood Fan not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone
i need a bit of advice on how to deal with the above issue. the fan on my Range Master Classic 110 Cooker Hood started playing up about 3 months ago. was working fine until it started taking about a minute to fully run when turned on.

now it has stopped working completely. i opened it up , turned it on and used my screw driver to spin the fan and then it started turning on it started and run for about 5 min until i turned it off and then it stopped working again. i turned it on and it still wouldn't work.
so i know there is power going to it. the lights also work.

please see images to give you an idea of the unit

questions:
what are my options ? is it a case of replacing motor and fan with new units?
what should i watch out for in doing this job? am not very good with electrics but comfortable enough to try small fixes.

has anyone changed one of these before and if so how is it easy to change them? am thinking of replacing both fan and motor but am not sure about the wiring.

any advice will be greatly appreciated

thank you
[/url]

Sponsored Links
It looks like standard extractor fan assy. & my guess would be it is choked up with grease. If you remove the grills on each end you should be able to strip it down, get the motor & impeller out & degrease everything.

Would have to agree. The fact that there is power and it ran once 'helped' along by spinning it, would suggest its clogged (Grease, dust etc..)

If however it does not work after cleaning it out update this thread before buying a replacement assembly. There is another possibility! But grease is the most likely.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both

I cleaned it out but problem persist.

Any further ideas before I replace the unit.

Also I found out today when I took it apart that some of the cables are soldered on the motor and runs all the way to the lighting unit ,where the lights are switched on from.

Is that normal? And does the new motor come truth the long cables already soldered on.

Many thanks

Not usually soldered, push fit connectors.
So no new motor won't come with cables.

ThanKs Yardie

Also I have found out that if it doesn't come on when switched on from low,switchingt on straight to high makes it work.

I find that quite strange

I guess I has to be a faulty motor...

Thanks

To select speed is it a sliding switch or separate push buttons?
On a higher speed it uses more electric current so probably will work ok as there is more power to rotate the fan, on lower speed theres less current and not as much inertia to get the fan to rotate, if the fan is clogged its likely to work on a high setting and not on a lower setting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back