Rate my wireframe

Sponsored Links
Its a fan isolator switch, I think its pretty self explanatory? I dont think i've seen a kitchen without one Lol.
Not really, i have yet to see one in a kitchen,

Most kitchen fans are on a FCU likely of the ring circuit.
What most people know as a fan isolator switch often seen in bathrooms are unfused and not suitable for connecting to a 32A circuit.
There are new type ones now that incorporate a fuse to help comply with manufacturers info regarding fitting a 3 amp fuse, whether there permissable on a 32 amp circuit, i dont know, i have yet to even see one in use.

Not really, i have yet to see one in a kitchen, Most kitchen fans are on a FCU likely of the ring circuit.
Indeed.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that some confusion may have resulted from the fact that the OP may well have used "Fan isolator 10A" to rfere to an isolator (be it 2-pole or 3-pole) which had a 10A 'rating' (like light switches0.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that some confusion may have resulted from the fact that the OP may well have used "Fan isolator 10A" to rfere to an isolator (be it 2-pole or 3-pole) which had a 10A 'rating' (like light switches0.

Kind Regards, John
Hence my first post questioning what they mean, surely not suitable as amongst other things, the fans then fused at 32A.
Though apparently its been seen in most kitchens?
(To be fair my kitchen will soon have one, but its fed from a FCU sited elsewhere)

As for the newer Fused fan isolators also branded as 10A are we back in the whelms of are they suitable for connecting to a Ring, i recall the OSG book refers to a certain BS number and theres been previous debates with connecting gridswitches and 20A switches to a Ring in the past

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hence my first post questioning what they mean ...
Indeed. Some people seemed to be thinking it was meant to be something (a switched FCU?) with a 10A fuse in it but, as I said, I suspect/presume that the "10A" is just the 'rating' of the accessory that the OP had in mind.
, surely not suitable as amongst other things, the fans then fused at 32A.
Quite so. That was my #1 point in my initial response in post #2.
Though apparently its been seen in most kitchens?
Indeed. I've already agreed with you that such seems an odd statement, certainly inconsistent with my (limited) experience.
As for the newer Fused fan isolators also branded as 10A are we back in the whelms of are they suitable for connecting to a Ring, i recall the OSG book refers to a certain BS number and theres been previous debates with connecting gridswitches and 20A switches to a Ring in the past
Some people love regs and arguments about them, but I would hope that most of us know the 'common sense' of the situation (and what we 'would bee perfectly happy with').. FCUs are generally 'rated' at 13A, but, for some reason, we don'y (often if ever) see the same people fussing about installing them 'on a 32A ring'..

Kind Regards, John

You guys are right, my bad! I have bought this assuming it was fused

What would be the most common or best solution to connect an extractor fan to the circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back