Rayburn oil smell/fumes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Occassionally we get the odd fume/smell from our of7 rayburn. A few months ago the flue got sooted up around the square fluebox on the top of the rayburn. No blockage further up the flue. We have no cleaning window on the flue pipe above the Rayburn. We do get odd bits of black debris around the air intake of the flue pipe. Is this normal? Does it indicate its a sooty flame? Any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Yuo need to get a good oil engineer with experience of Vapourising burners the oil flow rate should be checked as should the oil depth and burner level of course if the chimney is blocked it should be swept, most sweeps can get brushes up the chimney via the square smoke box cover if not a cut out will have to be made in the flue pipe (blanked with a proprietory cover afterwards) ;)

Do you have adequate fresh air ventilation into the room where the Rayburn is situated :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Its a real problem, removing the soot from these things.
I use an industrial vacuum cleaner, but the suction hose is too large to get to where it is realy needed.
So, I use a spare drain hose - the convoluted type - from a washing machine. Connected with tape to one of the vacuums plastic nozzles, the hose is able to 'snake' in to the problem area at the base of the flue.
If this doesn't work, I'm afraid the only real answer is to remove the flue itself for cleaning.
John :)

yes. Are there any special flue brushes I could get as its awkward with no cleaning port.

The circular shells, the top plate, and the centre plug all need to be in good condition and properly seated, otherwise it will smoke and make soot.

Hello. The soot build up could be nothing to do with the flue. Soot is normally asscociated with a yellow flame caused by :

1) lighting flap incorrectly seated or not in closed position
2) burner plug not seating well enough ie air tight
3) carbon build up in the burner - are you suffering with low heat ?
4) oil weep on the oil feed tube connection under the burner
5) poor oil flow from control box - is there enough oil and are the filters clear ?
6) too much oil - is the control box level ? has it been tampered with or knocked at any point ?

There are also flue issues but unlikely if its been working for a long time and there have been no changes externally or to the flue itself effecting the flue draught

How long since it was last serviced. Sounds like carbon build up in the burner and feed pipe.
Could also be a partly blocked metering stem in the float control, have you checked that?

Hi, Does anyone know whether its possible to cut into the 5" flue pipe and fit a cover plate to enable cleaning? I have had a look and there doesnt appear to be anything.

It could just be lack of adequate ventilation into the room and windy weather forcing flue gases back down the flue.

(I had a customer who complained her washing smelled of oil fumes after using the tumble dryer. I had previously told her that there was inadequate ventilation into the utility room and noted they had not improved the situation on this latest visit. She looked at me incredulously as I explained all this to her again. She obviously thought I knew nothing about washing and how tumble dryers work!)

get someone on to clean it , the soot these things can produce & the mess that can occur during cleaning is ridiculous .

Get someone who knows what they are doing. Just think of the CO that is producing by not running right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back