RCBO Ferrules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the best bootlace ferrules to use for when shortening RCBO neutrals.

best by brand - type and what are the common sizes.

Sponsored Links
you would need to know the csa of the cable
as far as i know
theres two lenghts of ferrules
two types insulated and non insulated
two colours, french and german colour coding for insulated

standard lenght uninsulated ferrules of any make, and the relevant size, most likely, either 2.5 4 or 6mm i would suspect

I'm not sure how much value they add, when a stranded cable is put into a neutral bar thats a reasonable fit.

Is it now usual practice to crimp a bootlace onto stranded cables (apart from RCBOs)?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure how much value they add, when a stranded cable is put into a neutral bar thats a reasonable fit.
They make for a much longer lasting joint if the right sized ferrule with the matching crimp tool is used. The copper strands are deformed in the crimped ferrule to fit together without air spaces between them. Un-crimped the copper strand deform slowly ( months ) to fill the spaces between them leading to reduced pressure from the terminal's screw.

Is it now usual practice to crimp a bootlace onto stranded cables (apart from RCBOs)?

You see it a lot more on appliance flexes nowadays and i often do it when fitting commando type plugs

The regs suggests ferrules where terminals are not desighned for stranded and a lot of screw type terminals now seem to use cages and bars as opposed to the old style of the screw direct onto the conductor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back