RCBO for LIGHTING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of re-fitting a kitchen/diner, we plan to re-wire the lighting in that room and the adjacent utility and fit 12V halogen downlighters. All the lighting to be re-wired is on one MCB. I understand regs now require lighting circuits to be RCD protected. Can this be achieved by putting a 6 Amp MCBO in the consumer unit and running that one lighting circuit from that, leaving the rest of the house lighting unchanged?

The existing MCBs are GE, and the panel is SECTOR. Does anybody know of a make of 6 Amp RCBO that would fit the SECTOR panel?

Do regs allow the use of a junction box in the joist space between ceiling and floor above to connect lighting circuits, and to connect 32 Amp ring mains?

Thanks for any answers.

Peter

Sponsored Links
You can get Sector GE RCBOs but they are the width of two MCBs.
If the switch drops are unprotected concealled cables burried less than 50mm from any surface within the safe zones then the circuit needs to be RCD protected yeah. An RCBO is a combined RCD and MCB. (MCBO = typo??)

All terminals need to be accessable for inspection and testing, I'm affraid in the ceiling and under the floor is not.

If you live in England or Wales, some of the work you describe is notifiable to your LABC under part p of the building regs.

Thanks very much for such a full answer Spark123. I will be raising a building notice for this because it clearly falls into a number of categories that need that.

Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back