RCD tripped by oven (but not that often)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My Mum has been untroubled by this for years but she's now seen a few instances of RCD tripping these past few months. She tells me it can happen when the oven has reached the set temperature. I've read that the element can often be the case. In this scenario, is replacing it a good 'first move'?

If so, question number two: from the official Belling site, it costs £65. Amazon can do it for £20. Is it worth paying the extra?

Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
A good 'first move' would be to do an insulation resistance test on the element to confirm that it actually is faulty!
It is bad, bad practice to try and repair anything by trial and error.

AIUI the common behaviour with elements is that they are faulty when cold because they have small cracks where moisture gets in, but when hot they are fine as the moisture has been driven out.

If the oven is fine at 200° when the control is set for 210° but not when it's set for 200° then I wonder if it really is the element to blame.

Thanks for the replies. I have a tester (never used it, not my line of business) and would appreciate some guidance before proceeding:

Are the wires in the correct sockets?
What should the dial be set to (a youtube video says 2000 ohms)?
To test 'earth' is it a case of 'black to either terminal, red to plate'? Or red to the element itself?

Thanks again.
Tester.jpg element.jpg

Sponsored Links
Set to 200Ω.

First measure between the two element terminals.
Depending on the rating of the element, the reading should be 25 to 50Ω (Watts / 240).

Then, still on 200 setting measure between each terminal and the plate (doesn't matter which lead is which).
If it reads 1 or OL go to next higher setting until you get a measurement.

Your meter isn't really suitable for a definitive test unless the element is obviously faulty.

Hi lads. Well, bit of a waste of time, that. When I made contact, there was a brief flurry of numbers then the display went to OL and stayed there, despite me 'rebooting' the tester. That tester has lain in the garage a LONG time so perhaps its battery (I'm assuming it has one?) is dead?

Are the wires stuck in the correct holes (see above)? That's the way I found it.

Here's some pics of the real element(!). Some 'bubbling' evident but does it look that bad to you?

My continued thanks.
element a.jpg element b.jpg element c.jpg element d.jpg

Yes, the leads are in the right places.

Can't really tell from the pictures but it is obviously 'going' and as the trip only occurs when hot, it is unlikely to be found when cold with your meter.

When it heats up it may distort and cause the fault.

Is that the only element that is operating when the trip occurs?
What about the fan?

But doesn't that element always come on with the fan?

I'm thinking there is another element in the bottom - (as well as the grill if you have one).
It's not going to make much difference as you'll still be in the same position.

Indeed, fan and element together. There's no bottom element and she never uses the grill.

OK.

I suppose you could replace the element and see if it cures the problem.
If not, then you have a spare. They don't last for ever. :)

from the official Belling site, it costs £65. Amazon can do it for £20. Is it worth paying the extra?
From my experience of installing 100s of elements over the years - no. There is no obvious difference on how long they last.

The only minor issue with pattern elements is that the fixings are sometimes slightly different, the most common being the fixing holes in the bracket tend to be always threaded when you may need clearance holes for a bolt or self tap screw. However that is easily fixed in seconds with a drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back