Re-bedding patio slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to repoint my patio + fix some wobbly slabs. But it turned out a lot of them (23) were actually wobbly and after taking them out, I'm kind of stuck what to actually do. The original mortar was pretty high and applied in "blobs" so I was thinking I should just remove some of it and use the rest as a frame and put new one to it. Or actually should I try to remove as much as possible, use the old mortar as a base and put then something like this over it?
20220918_165744.jpg

Sponsored Links
whatever gives the least work for you, chip out so you have 15-20mm of new mortar at the edges, but that might just break free the ones that are hanging on. Then try and give them all a full bed of mortar, but that does require care to get the right level under each one you refit. the dob in the middle, just drive vertically down with a fencing tool like this one: https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Professional-Solid-Forged-Fencing-Bar---1-8m/p/190344
I am sure they did as good a job on the tamping down as they did with the mortar. It will drive down a bit and give room for some mortar on top. Buy sand and cement separately, it will be much cheaper and with 23 or more to lay you might as well shop around for a jumbo bag of sand, I am sure you will at least use most of it and save repeated trips to a shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back