Re: corgi, ACS training.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently applied to a company in birmingham, Reactfast maintenance, for details of there fast track ACS course (12 weeks)
This includes a three month competence hands on, with a registered corgi installer.
Although having been a plumber for 25 years, and a gas fitter, pre legislation days, will i be able to apply for corgi registration once i have completed the course and passed the assesments, and once i have the required paperwork, will i be able to then work on my own?
I'm no spring chicken, but they advised me, that it would suit me due to my experience in the trade already acquired.

Any info would be more than gratefully appreciated folks

Sponsored Links
on the books or self employed is all i will ask as Reactfast do anything but fast when it comes to paying people
hope you like ripping people off with extortionate fees
i would steer well clear of this outfit
they actually delay paying so long, the company i worked for at the time went bankrupt
be warned

if you have plenty of experience already there is no reason that you can't go to a reputable college to do it

they will charge you far less for your bother as well.

I would STAY CLEAR. I imagine this group are trying to cash in and i bet its not cheap. 12 weeks is a rush job, youre a professional so i'm not telling you something you dont already know.

I'd contact a RGI, and you prob know loads. Ask to work alongside him and build up a portfolio. Gather the required evidence and then apply to sit your ACS.

I've looked at their website. Already promoting fast-track plumbing franchises (for a price!!!)

My crystal balls ;) tell me that gas 'franchises' will be the next thing they promote (again for the right price)

Agree with kevindgas - be warned

Sponsored Links
If i where you i would react fast and run a mile from these Con Merchants,
There is a lot of Corruption going on here at the moment all direct from American owned Franchises like this outfit and the likes of gas-elect, BHE.
etc...............

werent they ar rogue traders recently?? the one where that mush stabbed his neon into a glowworm spacesavers PCB and blow it up??

and now they are training gas engineers

the mind boggles

£3500 for a 6 week fast track course in Wolverhampton.

Had a look in the other day and counted about 12 mugs (sorry trainees)

Training is the way to go. :LOL:

Done some work for the fat rubber dummies years ago, never again.
Use them to gain your own work from customers if you stay there long enough.

as a plumber dont you have a CORGI mate you can go out with to get your 80hrs and his john hancock

dam sight cheaper and better trainers out there matey

I knew I was right about react fast

still cannot believe BG are using them for their plumbing work

:)

Thanks lads for all your replies, i have decided to give reactfast a wide birth, it was well appreciated.

What they failed to tell me was that after completing the course i would have to work with a RGI for 18 months before obtaining my corgi certificate, (is that correct)? or have i misread it?

As of today, i am going to give corgi a ring to see if they can point me in the right direction as to my best options, and hopefully they can give me an address of a reputable training centre a bit closer to london.

And yes corgiman i do know of several RGI'S of whom i can do my 80 hours with, but i must still do the gas foundation course and the ACS, starting with the CCN1, all these damn numbers and abbreviations, gets more baffling as you get older.

Once again chaps thanks for the info.

I used to think that you had to present CORGI with 18 months experiance under someones elses registration before they would consider you for your own CORGI

but I am not so sure that this happens any more as we have fast tracked a good old boy through his ACS and three of hisclass mates have applied and succeeded to CORGI as they left

and they only had the experiance necessary to get on a ten week course!!!!

so there you go

corgiman said:
I used to think that you had to present CORGI with 18 months experiance under someones elses registration before they would consider you for your own CORGI

but I am not so sure that this happens any more as we have fast tracked a good old boy through his ACS and three of hisclass mates have applied and succeeded to CORGI as they left

and they only had the experiance necessary to get on a ten week course!!!!

so there you go

BPEC, thanks again for the advice, i will keep you posted.

I agree with most of whats written above. Getting the ACS will involve a lot of work. What you did before will be of little relevance now!

My best advice is to get a Viper book now and start learning on your own.

In fact I would suggest if you go out at least 20 documented hours a week with a GOOD gas engineer for a few months AND study on your own for four evenings a week then you could probably just take the much cheaper refresher courses. Thats only if you are able to study on your own though.

Although I had been CORGI registered before on the interview basis, when I had to take accessments I just took the refresher courses.

You could then get the RGI to register you as his operative and get a bit more experience. CORGI used to want about 40 hours experience on each module but I understand they are much more flexible now. 40 hours on gas fires is difficult to achieve!

Make sure you find an RGI who is up to date with legislation and does things properly like doing a tightness test after servicing a BBU.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back