Re-Designation of Cooker Circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We use a gas cooker so have an unused cooker point.
My question is,can i replace the cooker point with a 13A FCU to power shed
which is thru the wall 1/2 a metre away and replace 32A MCB with 16/20A in CU.
I'll be using 2.5 T&E.

Sponsored Links
yes, no need/point in changing MCB if your fitting a 13A fuse spur

T&E isn't suited to out door use, unless inside something

yes, no need/point in changing MCB if your fitting a 13A fuse spur
Indeed - and if he used 4mm² cable, there wouldn't even be a need for the FCU (which I presume is what you mean by "fused spur").
T&E isn't suited to out door use, unless inside something
True (at least in theory). However it sounds as if little, if any, of the cable would be 'outdoors', since ...
... thru the wall 1/2 a metre away
Presumably around half of the "1/2 metre" will be the thickness of the wall itself, leaving very little!

@KEEP SAFE : Is this an 'attached garage' are there a few inches between it and your house?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Does your cooker switch resemble this in any way?
IE a cooker switch and a switched socket in one unit:

ae235

Would a socket at that location be handy?

If yes the simple answer may be the 4mm² or 6mm² ... You may be lucky and the piece which may run from the switch to the connexion plate behind the cooker may pull out if there is a bit... re route it through the wall and add your 13A sockets, all you then have to do is add a DYMO lable to change 'Cooker' to 'Garage'.

Just as John says no need to change the MCB and furthermore there is a tiny possibility that when you need an electric car charging point...

A lot of maybe's but one I used a few times. Good luck.

Sensible questions from you so far, feel free to ask more.

After advice on here went ahead and changed cooker point to 13A FCU to power shed(one 13A
double socket +5A FCU for lights).
Had a house wiring check done,electrition? said i wasn't allowed to do that and disconected wiring,who's right?

Did you ask what reg said you couldn’t do it?

Now (s)he has gone I would reconnect it.

Said wasn't allowed under new regs to change cooker circuit to other use and would need new
cable run for shed.

Said wasn't allowed under new regs to change cooker circuit to other use and would need new
cable run for shed.
OK but did you ask him what reg (number). Did you point out that the regs are not statuary anyway?

He's there to produce a report, not to change anything. If he would not reconnect it, I'd employ another electrician to do it and pass the charge to the original one and take him to SCC if necessary.

Just tackled electrician,she says because 2.5 T&E is passing thru wall(less than half a metre)i need 4mm cable because of
voltage drop.Also need 32A MCB replacing with 20A MCB in CU.

Rubbish.

If you had used 4mm², you wouldn't need the FCU, nor need to replace the MCB.

As you do have the FCU with 2.5mm², you don't need to replace the MCB.

Get a different electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back