Re-doing electrician's work, cable advice required

Yes. It's usual to joint the cables, and this is were the earth would stop. It still needs taking to this joint. This joint would usually be a joint box fixed underneath the cabinet, or ontop of the cabinet.

Sponsored Links
Each lighting point should have an earth taken to it, even if the fitting in class two, so changing to two core is not compliant.

Surely this will not apply if "downstream" of an extra-low-voltage power supply - i.e. the cable is supplied from a transformer outputting no more than 50v AC or 120V DC. (25v RMS to earth or 60v DC to earth)

Each lighting point should have an earth taken to it, even if the fitting in class two, so changing to two core is not compliant.

Surely this will not apply if "downstream" of an extra-low-voltage power supply - i.e. the cable is supplied from a transformer outputting no more than 50v AC or 120V DC. (25v RMS to earth or 60v DC to earth)

Of course no, but by going by the photos, that's not what's happening. The transformer is not going IN the chased in wall box is it!

Sponsored Links
I've taken the cables out and replaced by 2 core 3Amp 720volt for LEDs. Pics coming to night

Make sure you amend the protective device on the relevant circuit then to take into account the reduced current carrying capacity of the cable you have now fitted.

And you will need to ensure that any tests done by your electrician are re-done with your new fixed wiring.

720 probably from cable sheath.

What gets me, is he asks for advice, gets told the correct way something is done, and then does it his way anyway. The non-compliant way.

Because it's not 'very good' or 'good'.

Why second fix before plastering and/or tiling is done?

And why use shallow 25 mm deep back boxes when using flat plate accessories, particularly on that switch, which is stuffed with wires?

Some oval conduit would have been a bit professional too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back