Re-doing electrician's work, cable advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Re-doing a new kitchen. Decided to put some under cupboard lighting as well as 2 in-cupboard lights.

Found an electrician on website where they get rated, job done great.
I look into the work carried out and he has fitted 7mm 3 Core 240 cables for 12V LED cupboard lights that connect using 2 Core cable.

So now I have to rip those out and get the 2 core cables in. Lucky that there is only 6 lights.

I'd like to ask if this cable, I've found would be suitable for 12V, 0.75A lights?

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=386574

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
That cable is good for 6amps, so it will be fine for 0.75A, even if its 6 x 0,75A.

what's wrong with the existing cable?

Hi Taylortwocities,

The current cable connections do not fit in the spur box and are very hard to move around.

I mean, you cant actually screw the lid to the metal box fitted in the wall.

Regards,

Sponsored Links
Don't know what you mean by 7 mm cable.

Is this the overall diameter of the cable by any chance?

Are you sure it's 6mm? Is that the width across it, if so likely that's a 1mm csa cable. Cable sizing is measured as the cross sectional area of the copper conductor. Photos would be good. We like photos!

Ok sorry for the confusion gentlemen, I've compared the cable installed for the lights and it's the 2.5mm2 CSA.

I've worked on embedded circuits (and yes I know it may not be the same as domestic house wiring), but it just does not make sense to me to use a 240V 38A cable for 12V 0.74A lights. Am I just being too picky?

Regards,

OK. Firstly that looks like a flateplate accessory. If it is, it will likely require a minimum of 35mm depth box.

Second, how many cables are in the back box?

Third, why is there a need for SELV and LV cables to share an enclosure like that?

Fourth, not all cables appear to be in the safe zones.

Secure spark,

There are 3-4 cables coming into the back box.

SELV cables and LV cables? When you hire a professional, you think they know what they are doing.

I have no idea what safe zones are.

Thanks

You sure its not 1.5mm? Difficult to tell from pics.

Each lighting point should have an earth taken to it, even if the fitting in class two, so changing to two core is not compliant.

The whole lot doesn't look particularly professional to be honest.

The lighting setup has its own AC-DC converter box so there's a wire coming in and then 2 cables come out for LEDs cause ground for them is not needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back