Re-hanging an old door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've got an old door that we've had dipped & stripped and have re-varnished - there's a crack in the wood (it's probably quite old!) where the hinges attached to the door in a line with the screw holes.

Before I re-hang the door would it be a good idea to fill the cracks and the old screw holes with PVA adhesive to try and strengthen it a little and clamp the door while the glue sets before I reattach it to the hinges?

'Fraid I can't post a piccy at the mo as I'm at work

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the best plan. Run glue into the crack, clamp it up and fill the original screw holes with wooden plugs made out of scrap timber. Glue these in as well. Leave the clamps on till it's all thoroughly dry.

I would also fill the hinge rebates with fillets of wood, liberally PVA glued and tacked in over the filled screw holes. This would force the PVA deep into the cracks and consolidate the whole area. I would leave to dry then plane the fillets back to the level of the surrounding timber then cut brand new rebates in a different place.

Old bushman's trick: if knocking tacks into a thin fillet of wood, tap them first on a hard surface to flatten the tips so that they tear their way through the wood rather than push through and split your nice fillets.

I would also fill the hinge rebates with fillets of wood, liberally PVA glued and tacked in over the filled screw holes. This would force the PVA deep into the cracks and consolidate the whole area. I would leave to dry then plane the fillets back to the level of the surrounding timber then cut brand new rebates in a different place.

Old bushman's trick: if knocking tacks into a thin fillet of wood, tap them first on a hard surface to flatten the tips so that they tear their way through the wood rather than push through and split your nice fillets.

Ahhh, Y'know I suspected that cutting new rebates would be the way to go to be sure about it - guess I was being a little lazy :oops:

Thanks guys, some good tips there - I'm going to do it properly and fill the holes, and the rebates and re-do the hinges in new spots - no point in doing all the work done so far if the door falls off soon every time you look at it ! :D

Sponsored Links
I will be so much easier to fit the hinges in fresh rebates than try to mess around with the manky old ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back