Re-mortared verge had cracked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had our verge mortar replaced one month ago.
The roofer took off all the tiles, replaced the under cloak, and then put new mortar down and replaced the tiles.

Would anyone have any ideas of what went wrong? The mortar has come away from the under cloak along its full length, and a few sections of the mortar are loose - i.e. I can wiggle them with my finger.

Presumably this is unacceptable work?

Is there any easy fix?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0298.jpeg
    IMG_0298.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
Mortar looks quite sandy. Was it done on a hot day, or did it freeze on the night?

I’ve checked the historic weather details, and during the day there was a high of 14 Celsius, and overnight a low of 11 Celsius.

It was a mix of sun and cloud on the day the work was done, and the day after.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Not likely the weather then, could be the mix. Get in touch with the roofer.

Sponsored Links
Looks messy work anyway,
I doubt the undercloak was dampened before tiles were bedded . And as already said , mix looks a bit weak. But, that maybe the aggregate used .

Thanks for those replies.
Is there any way to fix this without removing all the mortar and starting again?
Am I right I’m thinking that the mortar should remain firmly bonded to the under cloak for a large number of years?
It has separated along the length of the under cloak.
IMG_0300.png

The roofer says that it was a 3 sand to 1 cement mix.
From a quick search that sounds like the correct ratio?

Would a product like “Soudal Trade Roof & Gutter Sealant 290ml Black” be ok for filling the cracks? (as a DIY quick fix)
And perhaps using some Bostik pre-mixed mortar powder to replace the crumbled parts?

Would a product like “Soudal Trade Roof & Gutter Sealant 290ml Black” be ok for filling the cracks? (as a DIY quick fix)
And perhaps using some Bostik pre-mixed mortar powder to replace the crumbled parts?
No, either leave it alone or do it again properly. There isn't really a good in between solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back