Re-plastering: Board or Traditional Wet - Which is best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've trawled the forums for info on this and most seem quite old, so need some advice on current thinking.

I am refitting our kitchen (1960s Red brick house with cavity walls insulated, wooden suspended floors) and most of the plaster is loose or will fall off with the old tiles, so plan to take it back to the brick.

If money and time isn't a consideration - which is the best method of plastering, dot and dab boarding and skim or traditional wet plaster and skim. Not planning on doing it myself though will get a pro in!

I personally despite being young like the traditional method as you don't get the hollow sound that feels so flimsy in modern houses and read the dot and dab method can lead to more drafts but just want to be fully informed before making a decision.

Sponsored Links
I agree, tradition method, basecoat and skim.
Dot'n'Dab has it's place but will loose you a little space and fixing to traditionally plaster walls is easier and securer.

I agree with PBD, D&D has its uses but traditional base coat & skim is far superior & much stronger; more expensive though! You can minimise the “hollow” sound to a certain extend by boarding close but the walls have to be flat & in good condition for this to work.

Let it dry out thoroughly before you tile it though (4 weeks) & visit the Tiling Forum for advice to avoid making common mistakes.

Sponsored Links
If you are partial to regularly going around tapping boarded walls to check the flimsiness, then you might want to also go around feeling plastered walls to check the coldness.

Otherwise just sitting at the breakfast bar, you won't even know the difference

Unless you are going back to completely bare and flat walls, then the obvious choice would be to just float and skim them. Boarding is only really useful for speed, or on new build of completely bare and flat walls with no cut outs to mess with. Boards are also good for plasterers who can't plaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back