Re-point flashings to slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, had a roofer and he sent me a quote of work to be done.

He advised to re-point flashings to slate roof. Can someone tell me what this means? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
flashings are the fabricated leadwork seals that prevent water from entering a building and are flexible enough to deal with scenarios that roof tiles are otherwise unable to cope i.e. where a chimney exits a roof, where a roof abuts another building, valleys, gutters etc.

Originally done by plumbers ........ trade stolen by roofers ...........bodged by "rogue roofers" ;) Corgi plumbers earn so much they don`t need to get out in the open air :LOL:

i have been taught by a time served plumber to fix lead, but he is yet to show me the secret to lead burning, bossing and sweating. i guess i shall have to just carry on doing 'dog ears' in the corners. ;)

Sponsored Links
By far, burning is the easiest, and means you can be creative in fabricating solutions to obscure jobs.....but I do wish I`d done more bossing :cry: ........basic burning is easy enough to learn from a book.....only a bit more difficult than MIG welding for instance....I would say buying a oxy mini-kit would be a good investment if you get enough lead jobs .........it can always be sold on when you retire :LOL:

the plumber in question says, if i can get hold of a small oxy-acetylene set he will teach me.

he has the patience of a saint.

not too common these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back