Re-roofed some issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've just had a reroof finished 2 days ago and need some advice. I was called away towards the end of the job so have only just had the chance to inspect the last 2 days of work (the scaffolding is still up). I'm reluctant to raise any issues which are not serious as they have been a great bunch and I'm otherwise really happy with the results - especially as it was the original 1920/30's roof that was replaced. They also did a great job of removing the chimney and putting a lintel in for the purlins at a very reasonable price.

Anyway, here's the things that I have found after looking it over:
-The ridge end looks poorly set with mortar at an angle - does that look normal?
- One of the valley tiles joining the verge is loose and appears to have lost its' lip to attach to the next tile - do I ask for the verge and edge tiles to come off up to the ridge to replace it (sounds like a major job with 13 rows above)?
-**Minor** The dry verge has no end closures and is open inside all the way up. I would put one in each end in myself but I can't find a supplier - the verge looks similar to toolstation https://www.toolstation.com/dry-verge/p65090

Grateful for any help,
Paul

Attachments

• ridge_end1.jpg
    ridge_end1.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 148
  • ridge_end2.jpg
    ridge_end2.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 148
  • ridge_end3.jpg
    ridge_end3.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 147
  • loose_tile (1).jpg
    loose_tile (1).jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 152
  • loose_tile (2).jpg
    loose_tile (2).jpg
    426 KB · Views: 143
  • loose_tile (3).jpg
    loose_tile (3).jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 148
  • verge_end_open.jpg
    verge_end_open.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OP,
If your looking for paid friends then go see a therapist. You paid for work, and if they were great guys its a bonus but nothing to do with the work you have paid for.
Politely call them back, and show them your list of possible faults. Faults are visible on your pics.
Deal with the boss or ganger not this and that one.

Sponsored Links
The hip mitre is a mess but I would be more concerned about the multitude of tiles with broken channels.
I've checked and all the tiles have channels - recessed in a few mm. The angle of the light cast a shadow on them making it look like they're missing. Also checked the 1st 6 rows all the way round and they're all solid (apart from the verge)

Last edited:
Inside the loft, there's a big enough gap that I can reach through and touch the verge unit. Is the roofer responsible for making good the gable roof line under the tiles before fitting the verge or would I be expected to do that? I had a squirrel in the loft last year and there are bats in the area so I've really keen to get any holes sealed up.

Last edited:
The start of the other verge - 6x3" opening into soffits
(verge type is EasyTrim)

Attachments

• righthand_verge.jpg
    righthand_verge.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 71
The roofline would normally be sorted out at the same time the roof was renewed, depends what was quoted for..because you can touch the verge closer from inside doesn't mean it will be accessible to wildlife from the outside.

The quote included "All original wooden roofline system is to be replaced with new white freefoam facia boards"
I was away at the end when the verge was exposed - the old barge board was in 2 pieces each side with the lower piece having a shallower angle to follow the roof line. According to the roofer, it was warped when they tried to fit the facia so they replaced it with new boards. The new boards appear straight all the way down.

"because you can touch the verge closer from inside doesn't mean it will be accessible to wildlife from the outside" - the problem is that even with fitting starter units(there are none at the moment), the left hand verge on the valley side has gaps at the bottom behind the 1st verge unit (the unit extends past the end of the facia). There are also gaps under the tiles overhanging the gutter leading to the gaps above the barge board and into the verge.

I'm quite happy to seal it up myself while the scaffolding is still up but not sure best way - mortar, timber, plastic, sealant etc. One post mentioned wire mesh and staple gun.

Last edited:
The roofer agreed to levelling and tiding up the verge mitre, sorting out the loose tile and used lead to seal gaps on the soffit under the verge. I fitted easy-trim starter units to finish off for a couple of quid from Travis Perkins. All done!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back