Re-threading a tile cutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

For all those engineers out there or just generally curious to fix tools, how would I start a new thread onto this tile cutter using a die to cut.

1665404797172.png

Looks like it was originally reverse thread, picked it up on facebook market place. I have M12 1.75 die but it's difficult to keep the damn thing straight when starting the thread off.

Is it best to take the motor off and get it flat, eye level on a bench?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What thread was on it originally? If it was M12 to start with then there's probably not enough meat left on it to get a decent thread anyway?

I would take it apart and put the shaft in a lathe if possible and use the tail stock to keep the die true.

Failing that a pillar drill could possibly be used for the same purpose with careful setting up.

Depends on whether or not it actually comes apart - quite often the shaft is integral to the motor.

cheers t&b.

Definitely not M12 to begin with, enough meat to grab on and cut a new thread, It might be too much efforts to pull the motor off and the shaft if even possible that is..

Any other thoughts perhaps not cutting a thread another way, JB welding or similar?

Ye gods, maybe that was a 14mm thread originally?
I'd have to recommend that the left hand thread - if indeed that is what it was - is retained to avoid the blade coming loose.
Epoxy resins won't be strong enough here - the shaft would need to be built up by MIG welding really.
John :)

Sponsored Links
John, are you suggesting that I shouldn't bother with re threading it? Or cutting the new thread as a reverse as it would of been, I'd obviously like this to be safe.

I think you’ll first need to ascertain if this was a left hand thread - looking at the nut should give you a clue.
I’m sure left hand dies are available, but I’m not sure where!
Great care would be needed with the re threading, because if the thread wasn’t true then the nut, when replaced could cause the blade to run out.
Could you find a genuine replacement part somewhere?
John

Could you perhaps drill down the middle of the shaft, tap it, to enable a bolt to be screwed in as back up for the existing nut?

From a google of this tile cutter this is indeed a reverse thread. eBay sell reverse thread dies, at a cost!

Harry good idea actually as a backup.

Lost assume clockwise.

Looking at the diagram is looks like it should be bolt not a nut?

They sell the bolt here:

It's definitely not a bolt on the machine.

Spares list here:

They do a motor but it's £240.00!

OK just rechecked not the model I posted, infact it's a versatile power pro 900 bridge saw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back