Re-wiring costs

Coljack wrote:

it might also include the cost of getting the DNO in to move his meter..

7omkin wrote:

He did clearly mention that he can do it cheaper than the supplier.

This doesnt imply that to me though to be honest, it implies that he is planning to move the meter himself.

Sponsored Links
aha!!!! an admission at last... I knew you were really just an office tea boy... too much time spent online during the day... ;)

and you have me bang to rights...I missed that bit about doing it cheaper than the supplier..

he does however say that the quote includes telling the LABC..

Thanks for all the advice. I have now decided to get few more guys in and get the quotes.

And have decided not to get the meter moved.

But I still don't get the argument that why cannot a third party test and certify the work irrespective of their presence at the site.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice. I have now decided to get few more guys in and get the quotes.

And have decided not to get the meter moved.

But I still don't get the argument that why cannot a third party test and certify the work irrespective of their presence at the site.

The only people who are allowed to do that are your LABC!! and they will only issue a building regs compliance certificate, not an Electrical Installation Certificate...

If you get a registered company to do the work then they will issue you an EIC and a Regs compliance cert (through their scheme provider)

In the spirit of this post I have engaged a plasterer to re-roof the house, a carpenter to change the boiler, an electrician to tile the bathroom and a plumber to re-plaster the landing.

Or are we on the wrong track?

What about putting a greedy idiot with no idea about finance in charge of a major bank?

Oh... hang on a minute....

In the spirit of this post I have engaged a plasterer to re-roof the house, a carpenter to change the boiler, an electrician to tile the bathroom and a plumber to re-plaster the landing.

Or are we on the wrong track?

:D :D Don't forget the relevant certificates though :D

Ok guys, will keep you posted on what I did when I do it.

The only people who are allowed to do that are your LABC!! and they will only issue a building regs compliance certificate, not an Electrical Installation Certificate...

The company my local LABC use for inspection and test clearly state on their website that they can do 3rd party certification. I've also heard of several other NAPIT electricians that offer this service and are accepted by the local LABC's.

You get a full EIC with a note outlining that the install was not undertaken by themselves.

I've not heard of any complaints so far from the LABC's around here.

The company my local LABC use for inspection and test clearly state on their website that they can do 3rd party certification. I've also heard of several other NAPIT electricians that offer this service and are accepted by the local LABC's.
But those are not, and cannot possibly be, certifications of compliance with the Building Regulations, so the work still has to be notified to LABC in advance, and the fee still has to be paid to them.

Are you sure that you are still not a bit muddled on the difference between, and who can issue, certificates showing compliance with the Wiring Regulations, and certificates showing compliance with the Building Regulations?

If LABCs are happy to accept a certificate of I&T results from an electrician, and do without any checks that the work also complies with all the other parts of the Building Regulations then shame on them, but I guess they feel they are allowed to neglect their responsibilities in that way.

How the economics of DIY + LABC notification fee + electrician's fee stack up against engaging the services of a registered electrician I don't know..

You get a full EIC with a note outlining that the install was not undertaken by themselves.
So who signs the part for design compliance? Can't be them, as they didn't do it.

Who signs the part for installation compliance? Can't be them, as they didn't do it.

And given that fails, LIMs N/As etc are not acceptable on the test schedules for the I&T part of the EIC, unless they inspect at 1st & 2nd fix then they can't sign that part either...

I've not heard of any complaints so far from the LABC's around here.
You wouldn't - they're raking in fees and providing SFA in return apart from a dodgy piece of paper.

The route they offer you to take is to pay the LABC their fee for unregistered works which is around £230 and the company I referred to will do 1st fix inspection and final certification. They send the home owner and LABC an EIC and the LABC issue you with a building compliance certificate.

Route 2 which the LABC here also promote is to use this company directly, pay his fee, then send off the EIC to the LABC and pay their reduced fee (£60 IIRC?) and again they issue a building compliance certificate.

Basically, the LABC want a fee to do nothing other than print a certificate. The chap I spoke to at the council said they have no one employed with any knowledge of electrics and this route seems to work fine for them.

The route they offer you to take is to pay the LABC their fee for unregistered works which is around £230 and the company I referred to will do 1st fix inspection and final certification.
Paid for by LABC out of that £230?

They send the home owner and LABC an EIC
They send them an EIC with only the I&T part signed. Who signs the parts to say that the design and the construction were done in compliance with BS 7671? What value does a certificate with ⅔ of the signatures missing have?

and the LABC issue you with a building compliance certificate.
The LABC will have had a document from the electricians showing that Part P has probably been complied with.

I wonder on what basis they decide that the work also complies with the following parts:confused:

Part A: Structure
Part B: Fire safety
Part C: Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture
Part D: Toxic substances
Part E: Resistance to the passage of sound
Part F: Ventilation
Part J: Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems
Part L: Conservation of fuel and power
Part M: Access to and use of buildings

Route 2 which the LABC here also promote is to use this company directly, pay his fee, then send off the EIC to the LABC and pay their reduced fee (£60 IIRC?) and again they issue a building compliance certificate.
Ditto observations & questions.

Basically, the LABC want a fee to do nothing other than print a certificate. The chap I spoke to at the council said they have no one employed with any knowledge of electrics and this route seems to work fine for them.
Well it shouldn't. It only "works fine" because they've structured it around dereliction of duty.

While I can't comment on the guy who's quoted your work and you could have a fine job done, there are certain ways he could comply ie LABC inspection and an after-completion nic PIR, you should be aware that it is possible to "obtain" an nic cert for, in my experience, ANY old rubbish.

Usually from the rubbish NICEIC registered contractor who did the rubbish install in the first place.

PS - when you come back, could you bring me some of that herbal tobacco that they grow up in the Rif mountains? :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back