Reactfast training

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone done the 6 week reactfast course?
If so what level of skill/competance can you expect from it?

Any info at all on these franchise intensive courses would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

well if one of their lads work on rogue traders was anything to go by not a lot

loads of articles about BE A PLUMBER IN SIX WEEKS courses, to attain NVQ3 you better give up four years of your life to college and on the job training

so ask yourself this "can I really be expected to handle every situation that i may find myself in when i go to a customers house in 6 weeks?"

My answer would be no you cant

are you going for a franchise then?? if so good luck competing with the legion of plumbers being unleashed like never before

Don't worry corgiman i am not joining a franchise.

I renovate houses with a friend. We have always contracted out the plumbing but hope after he attends we'll be able to fit bathrooms, maybe even lay the pipe for central heating. He has no intention of even becoming a plumber.

Are these aims realistic after a six week course?

Can you post any link to these "courses" ?

Reactfast advertise for CORGI registered experienced engineers in the CORGI magazine.

I did not know that they did courses as well.

It seems to be a perfectly respectable company but as always totally dependent on the worker. That fellow on Rogue Traders was not dishonest, just totally incompetent!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I have no personal experience of these short courses. However in the circumstances that you describe I believe that it would be possible for you friend to fit a straightforward bathroom on completion of the course, assuming that he has the aptitude and is a fast learner.

If you are carrying out refurbishment of properties under your control, then as the initial customer of your own services you should able to absorb any errors, spillages (yes I know ) and delays etc. and subsequently remedy deficiencies without the pressures and expectations of a householder, seeking assistance should this become necessary. He is unlikely to have the confidence and will not have the compedence gained by long experience and you should not expect too much of him at first.

It is likely that half of the six weeks will be occupied with basic theory so only approximately fifteen days will have been spent learning the practical aspects of the work.

When I say straightforward, I mean bath, wc and whb. Showers, bidets, cylinders etc. and heating systems are more problematic.

It is possible that your friend will have completed a bathroom installation under simulated conditions with supervision as part of the course - perhaps he should ask.

To become a competent plumber in six weeks NO.

I have now had a look at the web site.

Unfortunately it says nothing about the content of the course although it appears to give a Water Regulations qualification which would be very good.

In the past I have sometimes had trainees who would be able to do sinple tasks like fitting a bathroom after six weeks. They have mostly been people with a degree and who are experienced learners. They have taken the subject seriously and have spent the evenings reading up the relevant topics and could recall whatever they have read .

Of course the experience of how to deal with something new is only obtained by many years of experience and cannot be taught very easily.

My current trainee seems to have reached a leaning plateau and is not progressing with boiler repairs as fast as I would like.

Tony

SamySnake said:
Don't worry corgiman i am not joining a franchise.

I renovate houses with a friend. We have always contracted out the plumbing but hope after he attends we'll be able to fit bathrooms, maybe even lay the pipe for central heating. He has no intention of even becoming a plumber.

Are these aims realistic after a six week course?

well as long as every bathroom is the same and nothing ever ever changes and nothing ever ever goes wrong EVER then yep fill yer boots and pay a huge amount of money for a bit of toilet tissue saying you atteneded their course

good luck your going to need it

These are the qualifications you recieve.

City and Guilds 6022 - 02 Copper Tube Advice & Installation Scheme
City and Guilds 6032 Sanitary Accommodation Installation Maintenance & Design
BPEC - Water Regulations 1999

I have no idea how useful these aree but they sound fairly decent.
We both have masters degrees so i can't see absorbing some basic plumbing theory as too much of a challenge.

I appreciate how you feel corgiman. However your bitterness seems to stem from the fact it takes years of experience to reach your level not six weeks. This fact bears no relevance to the standard of the course. (which is what i'm interested in).

I reiterate, no one intends to become a plumber after attending it.

Not at all mate like the murphys I am not bitter at you or your wish to be a plumber, I am bitter at these trainers that charge the earth and dont offer much for the money they charge

Ok i will put my helpful head on now :)

copper tube course is very good, put one of the lads through it at a local college (cost 150 plus exam fee 50) to supplement his NVQ2 and he got a lot out of it so a thumbs up for that one

Sanitry ware one I have no idea but if its to the same standard as the above anothe rthumbs up

The WRAS water regs course it is our company policy that everyone (regardless of NVQetc) sits this one and is very very good.

So no I am not bitter just concerned. But Hey you have a Masters so this should be a walk in the park and am sure you will be earning 80k but xmas lol (kidding)

Just beware that you will learn only how to install in perfect conditions not in a clients house, but as has been said if you take your time and take care am sure you will be fine, it really aint rocket science

Good luck fellas

SamySnake said:
These are the qualifications you recieve.

City and Guilds 6022 - 02 Copper Tube Advice & Installation Scheme
City and Guilds 6032 Sanitary Accommodation Installation Maintenance & Design
BPEC - Water Regulations 1999

I have no idea how useful these aree but they sound fairly decent.
We both have masters degrees so i can't see absorbing some basic plumbing theory as too much of a challenge.

I appreciate how you feel corgiman. However your bitterness seems to stem from the fact it takes years of experience to reach your level not six weeks. This fact bears no relevance to the standard of the course. (which is what i'm interested in).

I reiterate, no one intends to become a plumber after attending it.

if you get that lot it aint worth JS mate

why would anybody in their right mind want to be a plumber ;)

Cheers corgiman. I appreiciate your advice. Your concerns are founded, and i totally agree its a joke that you can train as a plumber in six weeks.
As i have stated, we renovate houses and have no intention of attempting to work in other peoples homes.
Whilst my friend attends this course i will be atending a six week electrical course which has been greeted with a similar amount of disdain on the forums.
These trades take years of experience to master, we only hope to gain a grounding by attending these intensive courses, not become bona fide plumbers/electricians.

Thanks again for all your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back