real I.R.A.

the very end makes interesting reading the opposite of cowardly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cowardly
adjective faint-hearted, scared, spineless, gutless (informal) base, soft, yellow (informal) weak, chicken (slang) shrinking, fearful, craven, abject, dastardly, timorous, weak-kneed (informal) pusillanimous, chicken-hearted, lily-livered, white-livered, sookie . << OPPOSITE brave

Sponsored Links
i just ate my dinner, it wasnt a very brave thing to do but that doesnt mean it was an act of cowardice.

if calling these people cowards makes you feel better then go for it but you are kidding yourself. criminals with no respect for human life they may be but i dont think they are cowards.

I.R,A

irish republican army

The Irish Republican Army (IRA) (Irish: Óglaigh na hÉireann[1]) was an Irish republican revolutionary military organisation descended from the Irish Volunteers, established 25 November 1913 and who in April 1916 staged the Easter Rising.[2] The Irish Volunteers were recognised in 1919 by Dáil Éireann (its elected assembly) as the legitimate army of the unilaterally declared Irish Republic, the Irish state proclaimed at Easter in 1916 and reaffirmed by the Dáil in January 1919. Thereafter, the IRA waged a guerrilla campaign against British rule in Ireland in the Irish War of Independence from 1919–1921.

The original IRA split in 1922. After the signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty in 1921, members of the IRA who supported the Treaty formed the nucleus of the National Army founded by IRA leader Michael Collins. However, a high proportion of the IRA was opposed to the treaty. The anti-Treaty IRA fought a civil war with their former comrades in 1922–23, with the intention of creating a fully independent all Ireland republic. Having lost the civil war, this group remained in existence, with the intention of overthrowing both the Irish Free State and Northern Ireland and re-establishing the Irish Republic declared in 1919.

now regarless of your opinions, this has been going on for so many years, god was a young lad.

either understand it or stay out of it because 20yrs ago saying the wrong thing would have lost you your knee caps.

Now that the IRA are "back", I wonder if we will compare them with their middle eastern brothers .....

Will we now look at every Irish person as if they are a terrorist?

Should we worry when we see an Irish person on a bus, train or plane with a backpack?

Will MI5 have surveillance on on whole communities of Irish people?

Will the government provide £millions to Irish communities to deter the 'radicalisation' of young men?

Will we all be encouraged to visit Catholic churches to better understand the issues?

and finally

Will the provo cowards have the bottle to carry out any suicide attacks, or just look for an easy target and then scurry off back to Falls Road feeling proud and tough?

well said woody,

the so called "liberating" governments are no better, they kill more innocent than any "terrorist on earth" :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I.R,A

irish republican army

The Irish Republican Army (IRA) (Irish: Óglaigh na hÉireann[1]) was an Irish republican revolutionary military organisation descended from the Irish Volunteers, established 25 November 1913 and who in April 1916 staged the Easter Rising.[2] The Irish Volunteers were recognised in 1919 by Dáil Éireann (its elected assembly) as the legitimate army of the unilaterally declared Irish Republic, the Irish state proclaimed at Easter in 1916 and reaffirmed by the Dáil in January 1919. Thereafter, the IRA waged a guerrilla campaign against British rule in Ireland in the Irish War of Independence from 1919–1921.

The original IRA split in 1922. After the signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty in 1921, members of the IRA who supported the Treaty formed the nucleus of the National Army founded by IRA leader Michael Collins. However, a high proportion of the IRA was opposed to the treaty. The anti-Treaty IRA fought a civil war with their former comrades in 1922–23, with the intention of creating a fully independent all Ireland republic. Having lost the civil war, this group remained in existence, with the intention of overthrowing both the Irish Free State and Northern Ireland and re-establishing the Irish Republic declared in 1919.

now regarless of your opinions, this has been going on for so many years, god was a young lad.

either understand it or stay out of it because 20yrs ago saying the wrong thing would have lost you your knee caps.

Now what further proof is needed that these people are the enemies of freedom and democracy. This is 2009 however some would rather it returned to 1979.

What guts does it take to shoot some-one who is unarmed.? When Michael Stone shot up an I.R.A. funeral, Martin Mcguiness and Adams were caught on camera cowering behind gravestones in case they got hit. It didn't do their image as 'leaders of a guerrilla army' much good, they left it to the crowd to pursue Stone while they scarpered to safety.

The reason the I.R.A. do what they do,is because they know from experience that they have a higher than average chance of getting away with it, and even if they are caught they won't go to prison for very long.

Real courage is doing your duty to your country despite knowing that you are being targeted by scum, who think nothing of putting a bomb under your car even though your wife and kids could be in it.

Real courage is doing your duty to your country despite knowing that you are being targeted by scum, who think nothing of putting a bomb under your car even though your wife and kids could be in it.
you been watchin " scarface", courageous boy!! :p

Hmmmm, serious event occurs and yet people will argue over the semantics of cowardess, bravery and foolhardiness. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now, the US is unlikely to do anything as 90% of the inhabitants are related to someone who once went on holiday to the UK and whilst there had a pint of Guinness with someone who's grandmother once nearly went on holiday to Ireland. Or possibly an even less tenuous claim on why they believe they are of Irish descent. And of course sharing a belief that being of Irish descent is incompatible with any view apart from incorporating NI into Eire (not that I've ever met an "Irish" person from America who knew there was such a country as "Eire" :LOL: ).

As to fearing the sight of a person of Middle Eastern descent on a bus, back-pack or not, why would one? For one thing, none of the 7th July bombers were of Middle Eastern descent (3 asian, 1 black). As to fearing an Irish person on a bus; I don't think Irish terrorists have ever used the human munition approach. :confused:

Of course, the best thing to happen is for those responsible to be caught alive and with no scope for later claims of "dubious practices" against the authorities. Then, the full weight of British law in a British court in Great Britain, before locking them up in a British prison.

A shoot-out simply gives those remaining all the justification they need to claim they are involved in some sort of war.

Hmmmm, serious event occurs and yet people will argue over the semantics of cowardess, bravery and foolhardiness. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

i think semantics are interesting. if we are going to call them cowards when thats not what the word means, why even bother calling them terrorists, lets just call them elephants.

i think semantics are interesting. if we are going to call them cowards when thats not what the word means, why even bother calling them terrorists, lets just call them elephants.

Well, elephants is an objective and empirical term referring to a proboscid mammal.

Terrorist is a subjective term (we've all heard the phrase "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter"). So, whilst I regard them as terrorists I can't possibly speak for anyone else.

Now, if you wish to examine the semantics here, the tactics utilised by the attackers are completely exclusive of their cowardess (or lack thereof).

I would argue that if they had run at a dozen heavily-armed SAS personnel, screaming, armed only with cocktail sticks then that would not make them brave, just very very stupid. At the same time, if they had hidden out in a bunker on the other side of the world and performed their activities by radio control, that would not rule out bravery, but would make them prudent.

Cowardess is, simply put, a lack of courage. Courage is the ability to face danger, pain, certain death without fear for one's outcome from the event. Thus, the best we can do is to narrow it down to two main possibilities:

1) they were not afraid, thus they were not cowards but they were very stupid.
2) they WERE afraid, but not necessarily stupid, and may or may not have been cowards.

I am a pedant. That is purely objective. :p

To quote General Patton 'the object of war is not to die for your country, but to make sure the other Bstd dies for his' ;)

Sponsored Links
Back