real wood flooring

W

wez84

hi guys

i was thinking of laying a nice real wood flooring in our living room but wanted to be sure of the best way to do this.
firstly it will be laid onto a concrete floor and i was wondering what preperation,ie underlay or dpm , might be needed to do so.and secondly the flooring will but up to the stairs which will be laid to carpet so i was wondering how to conect to two where they meet at the bottom of the stairs???

many thanx

Sponsored Links
thanks alot thats really helpfull

also im going to fix some new skirting once the floor has been laid and was just wondering how you go about getting a good mitre on tall skirting boards as i cant seem to fing a mitre box thats anywhere near as high as the boards im buying so was wondering if you had any tips as to how to do a good job with the mitres and also how to find and cut the correct angle?

many thanx for your quick reply :D

Sorry, can't help you there I'm afraid. We never touch skirtings, at least not the elaborate ones you find in this country - we 'stick' to floor matters.

Sponsored Links
thats ok,was wondering if you had ne ideas as to how i link the fllooring to the carpet at the bottom of the stairs as i cant seem to find anything? :(

Not sure what you mean. The carpet on your stairs, the wood in the 'hallway' I think.

Normally you carpeter has 'doubled-up' the carpet on that last bit. Try to find out if that's so and is there is any 'room to maneuver' (ending your wooden floor just underneath the last bit of double carpet leaving you an expansion gaps there to that's covered by your carpet. Hope this makes sense?

thanks alot thats really helpfull

also im going to fix some new skirting once the floor has been laid and was just wondering how you go about getting a good mitre on tall skirting boards as i cant seem to fing a mitre box thats anywhere near as high as the boards im buying so was wondering if you had any tips as to how to do a good job with the mitres and also how to find and cut the correct angle?

many thanx for your quick reply :D

How tall is your skirting?, very old houses would have had large boards and can usually be butted and filled, if you have something like ogee or torus profile you could try Emir, they do a 9" (228mm) model

Draper do a plastic version in metric size 325mm (12.5") just google them, plenty of suppliers, here are two I just found

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section/5668/sn/EMI289

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=17093

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back