Rebuilding gate post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Disaster today, the wobbly brick gate post has fallen over, thankfully not crushing anybody as far as I can tell. I want to rebuild it with the same old looking bricks, to the same size and shape etc.
Any problems with this ? I plan to knock off the old mortar to clean the bricks up, and start from the base again.

Sponsored Links
my mum had that done, it fell over again.

although it sounds daft (or not) could you not go lower than it was? my mothers fell over at ground level which is where it fell last time (ok so i hit it with a car, but only the first time, 2nd time high winds did it)

yes it did 'break off' at ground level, so i would have started building it up from there. is there any way of reinforcing it ? e.g. hammer some steel stakes (tent pegs) or some bolts into the ground ?
or do i need to dig deeper and start building lower ? i'm not sure what's under there in terms of gas/water/electricity works.

Sponsored Links
for gates of certain weight and width masonry pillars alone are simply not strong enough. we have, in the past, used a steel rsj concreted into the ground with the gate hooks welded to the steel. it is then a matter of cladding the steel with bricks. the gate hooks are made to a length that will cope with the thickness of masonry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back