Recessed Lighting drafts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I got an extension completed last year which included a small computer room which used 6 firerated adjustable LED recessed lights for lighting. The room has a sloping ceiling. I have noticed that when it is very windy there is a very slight draft. I imagine this will be caused by the recessed lighting. Is there any solution to preventing or even limiting this effect. I assume that if I can feel draft, then heat will also be getting lost through the gaps in the ceiling around the lights. I understand that you can get hats to fit around the lights, however with having the sloping ceiling I cant get above the lights and I only have access from below.

Also, is the amount of heat lost likely to be significant. The room doesnt feel like it loses heat quickly, however the winter so far hasn't been all that cold.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Draughts.

They should never have been fitted in the first place.

I can't think of any replacement fittings that would effectively stop the draughts.

The ultimate solution is to remove the lights, replace any missing insulation, and patch the plasterboard. And fit surface mounted lights.

Not the answer you wanted, I should imagine!

Yea mate, but to be honest Ive researched and couldnt find an answer so pretty much expected that would be the best solution.

Im amazed there isnt a solution out there to be honest though. Lighting a sloping ceiling isnt the easiest of things and recessed lighting just sounded like the best way to achieve it at the time, but to be fair I presumed they would be pretty well sealed ( I thought the clip would pull the light up really tightly against the ceiling which doesnt seem so ). If I could go back then I would have explored other avenues.

Can you get surface mounted led lights that have a thin profile ( so could sit where the existing downlights sit. Or can you not buy anthing to put around the downlight to act as a collar and get a tighter fit against the ceiling.

Thanks for your time.

A spot light intended for use in a bathroom would have a better seal.

May be worth a try? Although as these lights cover the lamp with a piece of glass sometimes the output is slightly reduced.

Sponsored Links
used 6 firerated adjustable LED recessed lights for lighting.
If there is a draught from the lamps then unless they have intumescent seals they are not fire rated. If a draught can come through them then hot gases and toxic fumes from a fire can also pass through them. ( intumescent seals swell when heated and close the gaps ).

As mentioned replace them with sensible lamps.

Hi mate,

yeh the downlights have a seal that swells in the event of significant heat ( well thats what the electrician told me anyways ). The problem with this is in an everyday scenario this doesnt seal to the plasterboard. Can you get ones that do ( have a rubber seal etc ) that are also adjustable. I have looked at the bathroom ones but cannot find ones that adjust. With the ceiling being sloped this is pretty much essential.

Thanks again for all your help. Its appreciated.

Steve

If there is a draught from the lamps then unless they have intumescent seals they are not fire rated.
That's incorrect.

If a draught can come through them then hot gases and toxic fumes from a fire can also pass through them.
Indeed they can. That's what causes the intumescent components to intumesce.

( intumescent seals swell when heated and close the gaps ).
Indeed they do. But until they are heated they do not swell and therefore the gaps remain open.

It's almost impossible to install recessed lights into vaulted ceilings and remain compliant with the Building Regulations.

If the extension was only built last year then there's a good case for the work being unlawful - go after the nincompoop who thought it would be OK to cut holes in the ceiling and get him to put it right.

If there is a draught from the lamps then unless they have intumescent seals they are not fire rated.
That's incorrect.
Why???
If a draught can come through them then hot gases and toxic fumes from a fire can also pass through them.
Indeed they can. That's what causes the intumescent components to intumesce.
Exactly - that's the situation if there are intumescent seals. However, bernard was talking about the situation in which there are not ("...unless they have...") any such seals, yet there is a draft through the lamps. In such a situation, they surely could not possibly be fire-rated, could they?

Kind Regards, John

That's incorrect.
Please explain why it is incorrect.
Because I totally ignored "unless they have intumescent seals", of course.

getmecoat.gif

I've used those fittings. The retaining clips are cack, but the actual fitting is really good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back