Recirculating extractor hood over gas hob - permitted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

not sure if this is gas regs, electricity regs or building regs, so...

I want to install a recirculating extractor hood in a cabinet over a gas hob. I am aware of the requirement for 750mm height clearance, but one article I found also said that you aren't allowed to use the RECIRCULATING type with a gas hob at all ("Note: One point to note though is that you will be unable to use a recirculating hood if you have any gas appliances in your kitchen. If you do then you will need to use an extraction hood."). The other 20 articles I read don't mention anything about that. Is it permitted?

Also, while I'm here - where are the exit vents for the recirculated air? Does the device need clearance at the sides/back? I'm looking at this one and putting it inside a regular kitchen unit (which 'sealed' other than the big, side-hinged cupboard door on the open front of it).

https://ibb.co/DQ8tBkq

https://www.shipitappliances.com/cis ooker-hoods/50cm-cooker-hoods/sia-uc52si-52cm-canopy-kitchen-cooker-hood-extractor-fan-in-silver/

thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
image.jpg Recirculating is no longer permitted in new builds , ( probably because it’s pointless and ineffective) but you can install if you wish .
You will have the added expensive of changing the carbon filter several times a year .
Could cost more than the unit in filters per year .
I connected mine to roof vent .

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
why not?

I have tenants, who love to shallow-fry food. Every surface in the entire kitchen is coated with a layer of grease.

I'm thinking that using the (above linked) unit to suck the vapourised oil from the hob into a grease filter (which can later be washed) can only help. Why would it not?

They appear to be more decorative than functional, it does not take long for a filter to get clogged up & I'm not sure they are that efficient to begin with, do you really think your tenants will bother to wash it out regularly. They are cheap for a reason.

I have a bosch extractor with similar metal mesh grease traps - Works well - Traps go in the dishwasher every now and again...

No idea about modern regs. The previous owners did an extension and fitted a new kitchen about 10 yrs ago. The "extractor" is a recirculation model. The door opens upwards and locks into position. The extractor is sandwiched between two fullsized cupboards.

I change the carbon filter every six months. Costs about £8 a time.

Re-circulating hoods with greased up filters accelerate kitchen fires if flames from the hob ignite the greasy filters. ( Source a retired Fire Prevention Officer ).. A valid reason for not fitting them in a rented property

why not?

I have tenants, who love to shallow-fry food. Every surface in the entire kitchen is coated with a layer of grease.

I'm thinking that using the (above linked) unit to suck the vapourised oil from the hob into a grease filter (which can later be washed) can only help. Why would it not?
Will not prevent grease being splashed , filter will pick up less than 10% , most will simply splash the cooker area .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back