Recommend me a boiler ?

jwk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im sure you've seen these a hundred times, ive read most of them. However, specific needs seem rarely posted and they seem important. However, im a complete noob so maybe not, anyway any help at all is appreciated.

My old worcestor9.24 has packed up and needs replacing. I will be glad to see the back of it as the ignition contact's needed cleaning every other month for the thing to light. Hot water from the tap took about 3 minutes and the radiator's never did get that hot in the winter. Hopefully a more modern boiler will improve on these things ?

I live in a 3 bed semi, and we don't have mains gas here so I need an LPG combi boiler. We don't use a lot of hot water as we have an electric shower, dishwasher etc.

We will need hot water for the washing machine, the very occasional bath, and obviously for heating the house.

Im mostly interested in 'best bang for buck' as i only have around £1500 for the boiler and fitting. Maybe this is just not enough money to get a boiler worth having fitted ? If that's the case ill have to see what i can sell ! If it is enough for a reliable replacement then what would you recommend ?

Many thanks in advance.

edit to add, if anyone is near to Appledore, kent and would like to give a quote please let me know.

Sponsored Links
weareleeds said:
Vaillant or worcester but probably not for that price unless short cuts are taken

Thanks, i've been looking at those and others. Can anyone tell me the benefit of a stainless steel heat exchanger over an aluminum one, Ive seen stainless mentioned as superior but no reasons.. ?

As not a lot of baths a 24kw should be plenty . budget modesl .. main 24he or potterton performa 24 he / baxi 80he all same boiler . cheap and very reliable don`t cost a fortune to fix when they eventually play up.. LPG converstion kit is easy to fit and only costs an extra twenty quid

Sponsored Links
any opinion on the stainless versus other heat exchanger ?

personally wouldn't touch any baxi / potterton / main boiler i spend a lot of time under the bonnet so to speak on these crates

not personally fitted but my apprentice swears by the alpha combi he has fitted several and they are good on hot water

but i would spend a bit more and get a vaillant ecotec 831 which we use all the time

So what faults do you get on them kevindgas other than diaphragm and occasional board.. The guy is on a budget eco tech 831 not far of £1000

Worcester, Alpha, vailiant, Top three performers give the least problems
chrisey.

Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 NG and get your installer to set for LPG upon commissioning.

namsag said:
So what faults do you get on them kevindgas other than diaphragm and occasional board.. The guy is on a budget eco tech 831 not far of £1000

i'd get a new supplier namsag as i only pay around £800

i did say Alpha appear good for the budget price install

thermistors, overheat stats REGULAR BOARDS amongst other things and i find Baxi group unhelpful when it comes to faults within warranty and the main issue i have with poxi batterton group is their lying through their teeth about major problems with their PCB's (Suprima especially) and don't forget not every manufacturer has appeared on WATCHDOG need i say more

kevindgas said:
namsag said:

i'd get a new supplier namsag as i only pay around £800

i did say Alpha appear good for the budget price install

Kev, I would look for better deals as well, I sell to joe public for less than this :eek:

that does include time clock 140, flue and vat. it is the best we can get down here and that is after playing plumb center, city plumbing and G&B off against each other

800 quid including vat and flue kit.... everybody knows the suprima problem but this is not associated with the 3 boilers mentioned which where rebadged alpha`s before secondary heat exchanger was added. If your on about resetable overheat stats this was on the eco models which i have not suggested. Sensor fault is a 5 minute diagnosis and less than a tenner cost. And usually after about 4 year use same as diaphragm. Board fault rate i have experienced is less than 1% . Every manufacturer lies it`s the way of the world.
EDIT
So who is supplying them at that price then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back