Recommendation for a 63amp fuse switch

Harry just ignore the reply from this shed guy he's trouble.
I really do hope that you can provide a reasoned argument showing why my reply should be ignored.

You're trying, I hope, to give advice which is in the best interests of the OP, in which case you must be able to show why it is in his best interests to ignore the fact that he'll be wanting his electrician to sign an EIC for this.

Sponsored Links
1) It happens all the time inside CUs.

2)
1) That's inside the actual switchgear though - I wouldn't expect it within a cabinet.

2) I've seen some rather fragile and soft bedding materials used on SWA, and also its just that, a bedding material, and AFAIK doesn't actually have to meet any particular specification, unlike the core sheaths.

The 16mm earth wire from the cut out does it have to remain uncut right through to the consumer unit? Or is it permissible to have a earth block in the meter box?

The earth block is provided by the DNO when they provide the supply.

This is where you connect your main earthing conductor to.

You must NOT connect to or work on the cutout at all. It is both dangerous and illegal for you to do so.

If the DNO do not provide an earth, then you must provide your own by installing earth rod(s) or similar into the ground, and making sure your installation meets all the requirements for TT suplies.

Sponsored Links
Ok then I just don't want any hitches
Have you got it in writing that the DNO will permit your isolator for your sub-main to be fitted in the meter box. I ask based on my experience of a new supply to my cottage. There is a sub main to an out building and it would be convenient if this could be isolated at the meter box. The DNO said only their equipment could be fitted in the meter box and that included one isolator for the entire supply. The sub mains would have to be isolated elsewhere.

The use of a sub main from the meter board in SWA applies when the consumer unit cannot be reached by normal meter tails from the meter box.
Yep - had a job recently where the customer's fused isolator burnt out, caught fire, and burnt the meter board and meter box. The boss said the meter box is for DNO/meter equipment only and I think they got charged for the work to replace it and were told to re-locate.

There's nothing to stop you installing your own cabinet next to the DNOs cabinet to put your equipment in to.

There's nothing to stop you installing your own cabinet next to the DNOs cabinet to put your equipment in to.
I saw exactly this further round the site mentioned above - two identical meter boxes side by side in a small wall by an underground sewage pump, one had DNO equipment inside, the other had a CU and other customer equipment inside.

Yep - had a job recently where the customer's fused isolator burnt out, caught fire, and burnt the meter board and meter box. The boss said the meter box is for DNO/meter equipment only and I think they got charged for the work to replace it and were told to re-locate.

We have one where there is a 80A switch fuse in a cabinet and we need to change the cabinet, customer is being told that their equipment will need relocated.

Agreed and preferable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back