Recommendation for a replacement Semi Commercial Boiler

Depending on pipework layout & materials used eg: steel , commercial boilers would fair better than domestic types , any debris left in that system (which there will be) will deem the domestic a very short service life.............i would look to installing two boilers with all necessary controls..............of all the years tendering for churches , social clubs etc , never yet actually got the job. :mrgreen: , i don't bother wasting my time anymore.................

No disresect for the OP but that's just how it is , a good job costs ££££££s....................

Trouble is village halls & the like aren't flush with cash to spend on heating, so two boilers would be out of the question. I've done loads of small schools and generally only a single boiler in each as they're quite reliable (and budget is ALWAYS an issue). Basic boiler is recommended as some of the bells and whistles on the fancy versions can be v. confusing and there's more to go wrong. Now use Clyde CG series (a number of manufacturers use the same guts from italy) and tried MHS Ultramax WM at a site last year, so far so good. Smaller ones are usually Vaillant. Most makes should be good for 10+ years depending on how they're treated and serviced but I'm afraid the days of your old (Baxi Bermuda) chugging on for 30+ years or Britannias or Colonels for half a century or more are over :cry:

Sponsored Links
I am surprised that so many installers here dont realise two factors in the equation.

This hall is not flush with cash and needs a reliable single boiler with a long warrantee which ill meed the heating requirements.

Its a hall and as such is NOT permanently occupied. Therefore the requirements for reliability is actually LESS than a house. I like two boilers for reliability but few installers do that even though its often a CHEAPER solution.

I am still hoping the OP will do the gas rate! That can be done at ANY time as long as the room stat is turned to max. Best done on startup from cold.

Tony

.Its a hall and as such is NOT permanently occupied. Therefore the requirements for reliability is actually LESS than a house.

This IS the reason for installing commercial type boilers over domestic , these type dwellings have the boiler/s of for around 6 months of the year , this caises all sorts of issues regards heat exchanger blockages amoung others , most domestic boilers are running every day for 12 months so not an issue....................best advice would be to fit a boiler that uses a sectional cast iron heat exchanger along with dist tubes , forced draught would fair better than atmospheric.

Sponsored Links
A word of Caution!
three years ago we were asked to quote for a new heating system at a large village hall /social club complex the exisitng installation comprised iron pipe work cast column rads and a cast iron sectional boiler with a forced draught gas burner. we specified 2 Remeha Quinta 45's connected via a low loss header to the three heating ccts (Club, Hall, & Hot water)
Weather compensation was to be included on the heating ccts. unfortunately our quotation was way above the quote recieved from messers Bodgit & Leggit who came in at more than 50% cheaper, Parish Council committe takes lowest bid and the install goes ahead.
We still service this building which now has 2 potterton promax boilers installed one does the hall the other does the social club/Hot water.
THe boilers are constantly breaking down due to debris blocking the inlet strainer on each boiler also the onboard expansion vessel is whoefully small to cope with a domestic system!
So far we have had to Powerflush the systems increase the expansion vessel capacity by 100Litres! we have had to upgrade the control to give minimum compliance and the truth is the system will continue to be problematic.

So be carefull when specifying Domestic boilers for commercial jobs!

one more point Remeha Quinta (great boiler) Alluminium Silcone Heat Exchanger

Keston C55 (Carp boiler) Stainless Steel Heat exchanger

Now which would you choose??! ;)

A word of Caution!
three years ago we were asked to quote for a new heating system at a large village hall /social club complex the exisitng installation comprised iron pipe work cast column rads and a cast iron sectional boiler with a forced draught gas burner. we specified 2 Remeha Quinta 45's connected via a low loss header to the three heating ccts (Club, Hall, & Hot water)
Weather compensation was to be included on the heating ccts. unfortunately our quotation was way above the quote recieved from messers Bodgit & Leggit who came in at more than 50% cheaper, Parish Council committe takes lowest bid and the install goes ahead.
Now which would you choose??! ;)

Yep , glad were talking on the same page................could'nt of put it better.

This is the reason good guys don't get the job , i ALWAYS quote for low loss headers (some manufactures won't warranty the boilers if not fitted & i don't blame them) , sequence controlling along with lead/lag arrangement costs ££££............................................i say THEIR LOSS not ours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back