Recommendations for New Oil Burner - Equivalent to Riello G2SX (419T55)

Sponsored Links
Have you actually checked the oil pressure
I've not considered anything other than the electrical side of the ignition process so far as I've mostly stuck to Riello's fault finding logic.

I don't have a suitable gauge to test the pressure sadly, but shouldn't the burner go to lock out if pressure is insufficient resulting in no flame or intermittent firing?

There could be a very small flame producing little heat but enough light to fool the photo cell.
I have seen this only a few times in 40 years........Usually caused by water contamination of the Kero

Even with the rigid fuel lines disconnected then you can "fire" the burner outside and at lest see if youve got a spark, two flexible hoses and you will soon see the problem if in fact you get a spark.

Sponsored Links
Happy New Year and apologies for the radio silence last month.

I fitted the new burner a couple of weeks ago and so far so good (y)

It was factory fitted with a 0.60 GPH 80 degrees H nozzle which is correct for my type of boiler, as was the 8 bar pump pressure and air damper adjustment setting. If I stick with this unit I'll get someone qualified in to analyse the gases and make any further adjustments necessary.

The Riello G5X appears to be identical to my old G3 with the exception that the fan unit is noticeably bigger. This means I'm no longer able to secure the metal cover which would normally close everything in. I'm not too concerned about this as the unit's in a cupboard - I might be less keen if it was in my kitchen.

Imagepipe_3.jpg

Imagepipe_4.jpg

I decided to re-use the old flange as I noticed it had a slightly angled mounting face to achieve the recommended lean. It also had a better way (in my opinion) of retaining the new gasket as the edges of the flange were raised to accept it. The old gasket is what I believe to be a type of asbestos. It resembled very thick plastic, had warped in places and was no longer sealing.

Inside the combustion chamber I was able to extract around 1kg of rust and combustion debris. I think the boiler's likely to have had next to no servicing in quite a few years. The old burner wasn't as badly corroded as I was expecting, although the nozzle has clearly seen better days.

Imagepipe_0.jpg

Before Cleaning

Imagepipe_8.jpg

After Cleaning

Imagepipe_1.jpg

Imagepipe_2.jpg

I had to get a new green flexible fuel supply line as the one fitted was a hydraulic hose of the correct 1//4" thread but without the normal male stub, so whoever fitted it had sealed it with a massive wrap of PTFE tape. I'm surprised it hasn't leaked.

Imagepipe_10.jpg

It's not an immediate priority, but I will try my best to get the old unit operational and will report back if I can ever get to the bottom of what the issue was.

Thanks for everyone's help in getting my heating back up and running.

polygraph.

The Riello G5X must be one of the best oil burners ever made, mine, including the 20kw Firebird SE boiler, will be 19 years old next May and has never tripped on combustion failure, my daughter's 18 year old, same boiler & burner, locked out only once in 18 years due to tank running dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back