Recommendations on a water filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planing to install a combimate for the entire house to help with the limescale/hard water situation but additionally, I would like to install a water filter for the drinking tap. I need to use my existing tap.

I also want to install this in the garage which will mean that the filtered water (due to the pipe it will be connected to) is also used by the washing machine and dishwasher. Any issues with that?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Any issues with that?
Only that you will have to buy replacement filters far more often.
The filtered water won't damage the machines - but there is no benefit from it either.

Water filters are normally installed under the sink and for that tap only.

let me reconsider the under-sink option. Did you have any recommendation on water filter system?

Sponsored Links
Just use a standard filter housing. They're heavily used for aquatics so cheap and filters are a couple of quid a pop.

Can't go far wrong at that price. I'd suggest 2 in series; first is fitted with a sediment filter and second fitted with carbon filter.

Love the idea!
What will that do to my flow rate and do you have any advice on the piece of pipe between the two filters?

It's a standard thread (3/4"), so you can use a coupling between the two filters and a pair of flexis or 3/4" to 15mm couplers for attachment to your pipes

Last edited:
Would you recommend a bypass arrangement of pipes in case we need (likely scenario?) to bypass the filters and run in unfiltered water? Or do i just install in-line?

Is it 3/4NPT ? NPT is an American standard :love::love:

Edited to delete negative comment. 3/4 NPT and BSP have same threads/inch

No need for a bypass, the filters last ages and you'll get a long period of gradual 'drop-off' if/as the filters become choked. If the worst comes to the worst you can always simply remove the elements whilst you wait for new ones.

Last edited:
Thanks @Jackrae.
According to the online reviews, it has an NSP connection and many of the posts are reporting difficulties with connecting to this. Are you suggesting that it's compatible with a standard BSP connection?

Definitely not, all I said was that 3/4"NPT has the same TPI count as 3/4"BSP. You'll need to address any fittings 'standards' with the supplier to determine, or better still demonstrate, that it's fit for purpose in a UK based installation.

okay. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I go from the NSP connection to a standard BSP? I cant readily find an adaptor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back